hydroguy2

Well Known Member
My engine is being built as I type this, and yesterday I pulled a plane out of a cold hangar and went flying. My friend asked me "what are you doing for engine preheat?"

Good question, I hadn't thought about it much, since I'll have access to a heated hangar. what about XC trips? So here's where I need some input.

I'll have a IO-360 with Superior cold sump. Is there room for a small pan heater on these sumps? Anyone have a Superior sump they can measure the largest flat spot for me?

I put 2 heaters and a thermostat on the bottom of my Superior sump. I think it is the Reiff system. I leave the plane plugged in all winter with a blanket over the cowling. System works great. Cost about $19/month in electricity if I remember correctly, maybe less. With multi weight oil the plane always starts easily no matter how cold it is. Plane is hangared in an insulated but unheated hangar

I just bought two 100 watt...

...heaters for my -10 from NAPA for 30 bucks each, (part # 745-1147) compared to $200 for the Reiff system which I have on the -6. Only problem is that the NAPA silicon pads are 4" X 5", a little harder to find space for.

Best,

I put a 100 watt Reiff pad on the back of my Superior sump, thats all there was room for. and also a 25 watt Reiff pad on the side of my oil cooler, works very well.

...heaters for my -10 from NAPA for 30 bucks each, (part # 745-1147) compared to $200 for the Reiff system which I have on the -6. Only problem is that the NAPA silicon pads are 4" X 5", a little harder to find space for.

Best,

Pierre,
Does the Napa heater have a thermostatic switch?? I have the Reiff hot strip sump heater on my Cessna 152. I cover the cowl with a heavy blanket and use foam cowl plugs to keep the heat in. I am in an uninsulated hanger but the engine is toasty warm when I go to fly, even here in Michigan. I put an E-Z Heat silicone pad I got new on eBay on my IO-540 when I overhauled it. It also has the thermo switch and I hope it works as well as the Reiff.

No David,...

...it does not have a thermostat. I'm betting that the oil wouldn't overheat overnight so I'm going to test it during the day at the airport for ten hours and see what we get.

Best,

corrosion

Does a constantly on crankcase heater also prevent/reduce internal engine corrosion because it minimizes condensation within the engine?

If so, this would be a great benefit for heat.

Bevan
RV7A in a coastal area.

Good question Bevan. I only use my oil sump heater before a flight and use an engine dryer whenever in the hangar.

The bigger benefit is.....

...that you get much better initial cam lobe/lifter base lubrication since that area is splash oiled. 30 degree oil of any kind doesn't 'splash' very well and causes start-up wear. The warm sump also transfers the warmth to the cylinders and case and you can feel it with your hand.

You're rewarded by a grateful engine that starts by the second or third blade:) The battery will thank you too.

Best,

Our sump heater system is $169, not $200. It uses metal strip heating elements, far more durable than silicone pads. Two are included with the system, each measuring 4 x 1.5" to make it easier to find space for them. They are thermostat controlled, NAPA probably isn't. Ours are FAA approved, NAPA isn't. Finally, I don't know what the NAPA warranty is, but ours is probably better. Two years, no fault. If it fails for any reason, including installation mistakes, we replace it.

Apologies, Bob....

...I'm going to get another from you for the -10.

I had serious afterthoughts about the NAPA pads.

Thanks,