flion

Well Known Member
That's the new name of Vertical Power, if you didn't recognize them. When the VP200 was discontinued a while back I thought, great, another orphan (I still think it was a mistake to discontinue that; the VP-X is nice but would not work with my setup and I am sure there are others who also don't fit VP's current niche).

However, fast forward to now. I am starting to wire some of the peripherals to the panel Aerotronics built for me. I've run the panel before, intending to use it for testing systems as I connect them. This time, however, the VP display unit failed. Aerotronics put me in touch with their Astronics rep, who contacted me the same day and a barrage of email resulted as he acted as the go-between for me and the techs. After some troubleshooting, the decision was made to take the unit back for testing at ABT. All the process happened very quickly, emails were answered promptly, and there was no hint of "we don't make that anymore, so we don't care."

I've seen a VP-X system in action in a friend's RV-7A with G3X, and it is awesome. If this is the level of support they provide, then they will be high on the lists of companies we like to do business with. Now, if they will only come up with a VP-X display for those of us who don't have an EFIS that will integrate with the VP-X.

Thanks for the kind words Pat, I appreciate the public feedback. I will strive to make everyone's experience with ABT the same as Pat's.

If you need help, let me know!

:cool:

Fast forward a month....

and all you get is that the VP200 is discontinued and it's not my problem. No support whatsoever because they apparently announced it on here last week. Chad punted and offered a massive 10% discount to "upgrade" to a VPX Pro. Seems that's a downgrade. So now I'm stuck with a DU with a faulty knob and a boat anchor of an electrical system and no recourse or sympathy from Vertical Power's new owner.

Last edited:
I find it strange that a company like Astronics Ballard Technology is being portrayed as the bad guy in this whole mess. Folks, they did not purchase the rights to those product lines......the fact that they ever supported them at all is most likely their only mistake in all of this.

I seriously think all this negative energy is being focused in the wrong place!

Here are a few hints on how to contact the right person regarding the products in question:

https://www.facebook.com/marc.ausman/about

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=2175803&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=b3EM&locale=en_US&trk=tyah&trkInfo=clickedVertical%3Amynetwork%2CclickedEntityId%3A2175803%2CauthType%3ANAME_SEARCH%2Cidx%3A1-1-1%2CtarId%3A1438727665224%2Ctas%3AMarc%20Ausman

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/person/marc-ausman?id=9BDD29EF0DC249A0882C7B3DD1F63849

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=16224&highlight=marc+ausman

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=1587

http://www.aircraftwiringguide.com/

PS: This post is not intended to reflect negatively on Marc. It is my opinion based on what I know about this mess is that he is the only one that can properly respond to the issue some are having with this announcement....

News from Astronics Ballard Technology regarding VP-50, VP-100, and VP-200 systems only-

Product obsolescence usually brings angst with both customers and their supplier. We at Astronics Ballard Technology had an unusual situation with the acquisition of the Vertical Power products. As many of you may know, we acquired only the VP-X Sport and the VP-X Pro products, plus bins and boxes of all kinds of parts. As a service to the community, we continued to provide repair support for already obsolete products such as the VP-50/VP-100/VP-200 whenever possible. However, we are now out of most the useable parts and many are no longer attainable. Therefore, we are discontinuing factory service support for these already obsoleted units. If you have one of these units and would like to upgrade to a VP-Pro, please contact Chad Jensen to discuss options.

Rest assured, we enjoy being part of the community and will continue to offer the highly successful VP-X Pro and Sport through our dealer network. Also, keep following us. I think you will be pleased with the Primary Power System (PPS) which will be released shortly after operational qualifications are complete.

Please contact Chad for further assistance.

Best regards,

Bill Schuh
Vice President of Sales
Astronics-Ballard Technology
[email protected]

Last edited:
Brian,

My issue is that as of a month ago they were happy to support VP200 users. In addition their website very clearly said they are still supporting the VP200 as of today. Lastly, posting that they are discontinuing support on a aviation forum but not on their website to me does not jive. There seems to be some identity issue there. On one hand they support it but on another they don't.

I do intend to reach out to Marc, he's always been a supportive guy.

I know it is very frustrating....

Not sure when they updated their website but it now has the same message on it as was posted here by Chad.

Folks, they did not purchase the rights to those product lines......

Brian, Chad has been unable to tell us (yet) who actually owns the IP to the VP-200. Do you have some factual information regarding ownership or is this just speculation?

Brian, Chad has been unable to tell us (yet) who actually owns the IP to the VP-200. Do you have some factual information regarding ownership or is this just speculation?

I have no idea who owns it other than the last person that claimed to own it was Marc. ABT has stated they did not purchase that part of VP...

"*snip* As many of you may know, we acquired only the VP-X Sport and the VP-X Pro products *snip* Bill Schuh Vice President of Sales Astronics-Ballard Technology"

Last edited:
Guys, you should really move this discussion over to the thread about the discontinuance. I agree with Brian and find no fault with Ballard in this issue.

I'd be glad to jump in where I can. I don't have any spare parts or access to engineers, but I'll try to help as able.