PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
I was testing engine out descent to simulate landing at the local practice area over the weekend. I was about 3500 - 4500 feet AGL and I circled above the straight road and simulated it a my landing spot. One thing I found out that when I was making the wide spirals over the road, it was difficult to gauge when it was appropriate to straight out and make the final approach for landing. On the other hand, on the same road, if I spiral away from the road but inline to the landing path, keeping one edge of the spiral circle above the touchdown point, then I could treat it like a power-off 180 when I descend down closer to the ground. It was easy for me to make the judgement when to straighten out the spiral and to make the final glide to land.

What is your technique if you happen to experience an engine out like this?

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Any practice is good practice. There will be a lot of variables you just can’t plan for, so vary your routine. You’re just trying to get a sight picture, much like pattern work, when you need to decide to turn base. This may or may not be an option in a real emergency.
Just remember, in a simulated engine out, your engine is still running. In a real engine out, you will have more drag and descend quicker.
Work on your forward slips. It’s a great tool to bleed some speed. Work on stall awareness, at altitude, so you can get a feel for what margin you have.
I would rather land a little hot and plow into something than stall and spin it in. One of those outcomes is certain, while the other may be survivable.

Lonnnnnnnng time ago, as an instructor, I would demonstrate simulated engine out and then have the students practice them of course.
I did that almost on a daily basis... It was work, not play. I can humbly say I was pretty good at it...
It's been waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long since I practiced.
Last time I "glided" in the -8- was when I did the engine out gliding tests to find best L/d speed.
Reading this, and other related threads, can only encourage to practice engine out and other emergencies on a regular basis.
This airplane is so fun to fly, I sadly neglect to "work" the "never or almost never" situations.
Thanks for the wake-up call !!!

Last edited:
I would rather land a little hot and plow into something than stall and spin it in.
That has always been my thoughts and the design of the -12 makes it even more of my plan. With no fuel in the wings I would look for two trees separated between 8 and 25 feet apart and aim for the middle. Hopefully remembering to tighten lap belt and shoulder harnesses as tight as possible beforehand. Spar brakes!

Lonnnnnnnng time ago, as an instructor, I would demonstrate simulated engine out and then have the students practice them of course.
I did that almost on a daily basis... It was work, not play. I can humbly say I was pretty good at it...
It's been waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long since I practiced.
Last time I "glided" in the -8- was when I did the engine out gliding tests to find best L/d speed.
Reading this, and other related threads, can only encourage to practice engine out and other emergencies on a regular basis.
This airplane is so fun to fly, I sadly neglect to "work" the "never or almost never" situations.
Thanks for the wake-up call !!!
A power off, steep spiral to a landing used to be on the commercial test standards.

A power off, steep spiral to a landing used to be on the commercial test standards.
The only spiral that was taught during my PPL was the emergency descend. It was a different sight picture doing the spiral from up high and also planning ahead where to aim for landing. It was definitely a perishable skill for me.

This is such a hot button conversation. I agree that practice of the concept is super valuable. BUT, with actual power off (mixture off), the numbers and experience changes a lot.
I did sufficient real power off testing with the -9 to entertain myself with real data, but never expected the other pilot to ever entertain or even talk about practicing such a thing.
A desert or a west Texas airport from WWII with a runway in every direction could be a good time for data collection.

Might want to practice one close to an airport and need to get down fast due to sim smoke in cockpit and slowing it down.