irontrack

Hey all, I'm almost done with the practice toolbox and still setting up my shop. I tried cutting the hinge pin and rod for the handle with a pair of tin snips and immediately felt that I was going to ruin my snips if I did it.

Does anyone have advice about what to use to cut these?

I'm about to go looking for a bandsaw (for the build in general) would that be ok to use provided I had the right blade?

other options?

Don't use tin snips..... they are for tin. Place in a vise and cut with a hack saw or cutoff wheel. A good set of Lineman plyers will do it.

Too small for a band saw.

Small triangle file. Notch it halfway, snap it off, dress the end. Fast, accurate, easy.

Band saw not recommended. I destroyed my blade trying to cut through hinge pin. Stick with dremel and cutoff wheel

Dikes work

A good pair of diagonal pliers is all you need for the cutting, then dress the cut with your grinder or file. I like the Kleins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bnqFwAf7HM

-Marc

Hey all, I'm almost done with the practice toolbox and still setting up my shop. I tried cutting the hinge pin and rod for the handle with a pair of tin snips and immediately felt that I was going to ruin my snips if I did it.

Does anyone have advice about what to use to cut these?

I'm about to go looking for a bandsaw (for the build in general) would that be ok to use provided I had the right blade?

other options?

Last edited:
I ditched it altogether a d riveted a strip of leather on there. Who wants to pick up a tool box by that tiny pin for a handle?