dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Monday I will call Avery to order my RV tool kit. I just needed to understand the difference between Kit 105 and 106. Mar 23 at 2pm I visit VAn's to confirm my dream to purchase the wing kit for the RV 14. I am getting excited. I want to practice riveting when my Avery tool kit arrives and would like some guidance where to get
1) a few small sheets of appropriate thickness aluminum to drill and rivet
2) where to get rivets and what type/size to get.
I have seen aluminum in my local Lowe's store and they list it is gauge (ie 26 Ga) or thickness (ie .032) I think I read .032 is common for skins.
Which store and what aluminum and rivets would you recommend to get some practice on?

Spruce

I ordered both aluminum sheet and rivets from Aircraft Spruce. You can get a small amount of .025 and .032. And some 426AD-3-3 and -3.5 rivets. Could get a few 470AD-4-3.5 if you want. That should keep you busy until the practice kit.

I did get a little bit of the aluminum angle from Lowes Aircraft Supply that I used for practice and for setting and testing countersink head and the like. You could get that from spruce too.

Vans

Just order the two practice kits from vans. That ought to give you some good practice, includes parts and rivets and through the process it will answer your questions as to what other materials you should purchase for additional practice, if desired.

That's what I did, although I have always regretted not getting hands on advice from someone else in the area too.

Don't get aluminum from Lowe's or Home Depot. It's a much softer alloy than used in aircraft. Stay with the real stuff - and Van's practice kits are very good.

Dave

Practice

The EAA SportAir classes, either Vans RV or sheet metal, are great and worth a little weekend trip if you find one that works with your schedule