Draker

Well Known Member
Reason number 148 for why you should practice learning how to use a tool (in this case a nutplate jig) on scrap rather than the workpiece:

IMG_0275-M.jpg

Sometimes I make a mistake and say, "Well that happens--lots of builders learn this one the hard way". Other times I have to say, "Wow there really isn't any excuse for this. Use your head, dummy!" This is one of those times. :mad:

If you're a new builder, heed the advice constantly given here on VAF to practice on scrap first!

Last edited:
I have tape permanently affixed over that outside hole on my nutplate jig just for this reason. Too many extra lightening holes.

Scrap Pile

I think my scrap pile is now about 6 inches high, with all types and shapes of "spare" aluminum and steel to use for testing. This post caught my attention because I am right at that same point of needing to drill the rivet attach holes for the those nut plates in the joiner plate. I have also been debating about using my nut plate jig for this, or another method that some have used by using the actual K1100-8 nut plate as a template, with the screw inserted to hold it against the skin in the proper place.

Curious - Are you gong to make a new joiner plate? Order a new part from Vans? Check with Vans to see if you can just build on?