Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone reading my earlier posts about beginning the fiberglass on my kit would immediately conclude that I'm a complete newbie at the process. But, so far it's gone well (I think). Now I am at the point of laying in some priming and finishing supplies and want to double check my shopping list to make sure I've got what I need, and nothing more.

So, my decision is to use PPG products because they seem to be well accepted by the RV and aircraft painting communities.

Here's what I have on the list so far:

K36 High Build Primer
DCX8 Hardener for K36 Primer
DT860 Reducer for K36 Primer

DP50LF Gray Epoxy Primer
DP401LF Catalyst for DPLF Primer

AcryliClean Solvent (is this required?)

Does this look complete?

Thanks!

That looks like a pretty good list. I had the same question about the AcryliClean solvent. I'm sure other solvents would work, but I really like the AcryliClean. It doesn't flash off too quickly, so you have time to work and there are fewer vapors in the air. Faster solvents evaporate before you can wipe them up well, re-depositing whatever you just cleaned back on the surface. It is also really handy as a lubricant for wet sanding DPLF if you have the misfortune to need to do that. :(

Pin Hole Filler

Dont forget the pinhole filler!...I used an Evercoat product (2 part) that is awsome, others will also have favorites. There are a million pinholes that wont easily fill with the primer, so get this glazing and squeege a thin coat on to fill the pinholes, sand,then prime. If you miss any, they will be visible after priming, and spot fill with glaze. Other wise, I have used the same PPG materials you are looking at with great results. I topcoated with PPG Desothane.

Thanks guys! So far, I'm just messing around with the gel coated stuff, so I'm using pure epoxy for pin holes where I've applied micro, but when I get into the uncoated FG, I'm sure I'll be looking for something better for pinholes...the holy grail!