Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
Since it will be several months until I have an engine and battery, I decided to power up the Dynon D180 on my bench so I could learn the menu systems and work on the checklists.
I made up a dongle from Radio Shack D-Subs (1 female 25 pin and 1 female 9 pin) using the pin out assignments for the main power, main ground and PC data. This info is in the Installation Guide. For power I used my regulated 12VDC power supply that I have had around for car projects. They are also available from radio shack. Just to be sure, I contacted Dynon on their forum and described what I wanted to do and they said it was OK. I downloaded the Dynon Support software which interfaces with the D180 and lets you edit the checklists and various other functions. It all works rather easily.
683967283_YQjcV-M.jpg

Having had experience in rental planes with various GPSs and the Garmin G1000, I found that all of the capability of the EFIS systems can result in a lot of head down time trying to figure out menus and keys while in the air. I decided to become completely familiar with the D180 before flying it, especially in a new aircraft. It is not a G1000, but when coupled with the GPS it is an amazingly competent, and complex, system that qualifies the RV-12 as a Technically Advanced Aircraft. To achieve the additional safety that a TAA aircraft offers, pilots need to spend time learning the menus and softkeys. This can be accomplished in the comfort and safety of your workshop.

Tony

Last edited:
Excellent idea Tony. Playing with a new EFIS / EMS in flight can be hazardous to your health.

Dynon noise

Following Tony's lead (pun intended), I fabricated a cable to run between a power supply (via an in-line fuse), the Dynon, and a laptop. The Dynon powered up fine with 7 errors to be acknowledged due to missing components. The Dynon support software (previously downloaded) also worked fine talking to the Dynon.

I do have one observation, however. In normal mode, every few seconds the Dynon makes a clicking noise. The timing is erratic, but ranges from 3 to 10 seconds. However, when connected to the laptop, the noise is not present. Any idea what causes the Dynon to click?

Thanks...Keith

Dynon says the clicking is normal on the EMS systems. Something about a calibration it is doing internally each time it clicks.

Updates

Don't forget this is an easy process if you have a PC. If you have a MAC you're out of luck. Since they do offer free updates (unlike the avionics industry giants...good luck with your future) I will most likely buy a small netbook just to do my Dynon downloads. Still cheaper than a year's worth of updates from most of their competition.

Dynon updates from a Mac

I would think updates can be done via a Mac running Windows under either Parallels or Bootcamp. I have been doing the same with a Mac on my Garmin 296 for a couple of years. I already installed the Dynon software on the Mac but just received my avionics so have yet to try it out. Anyone else out there tried this?

Just wait until you start downloading your flight and engine data.

The flight data can be plotted on Google Earth, which is very cool!