freegespeed

Anybody out here in the VAF world ever hear about, or actually do an installation of a Powerflow exhaust system in an RV. The RV cowl may be too tight for the big rectangular box part of the Powerflow system, but it would be cool if it would fit because it adds a nice power punch to the engine.

Their websight lists expirementals as future prospects, but not available now to buy and install. Although the Glastar and Sportsman are listed, which must be an exception.

They claim to give up to 20 hp increase in performance. I flew a 160 hp C-172 in my old flying club a while back, and it basicly flew like it had and 0-360 in it, so I was impressed.

Cheers,

No To Powerflow

You don't want powerflow, at least at this time in my opinion. Their "claim to Fame" is they figured a way out to make a 4-into-1 collector with tube lengths in the proper range, including a secondary pipe, the long thing sticking out the cowl on many of their systems. That's a pretty good trick while keeping the general original muffler and cabin heat exchanger. That is also why they charge, I don't know, over $3,500.00 for their exhaust, because they can. We have other options as experimental aircraft.

The 23.75 HP increase is OVER a really really poor factory exhaust which is a little better than your car exhaust system with a potato stuffed in the tail pipe. It is not that their system is great, it is just the factory systems they are replacing are that bad.

The "standard" unmuffled cross over typically found on RV's is way better than a stock Piper or Cessna exhaust. You would not see an appreciable increase in power going from a RV crossover exhaust to their exhaust, even if that was possible. At this time it is not even possible, because the powerflow with not fit as you guessed.

A RV crossover is about $800, and a 4-into-1 RV exhaust which has some power advantage, go for $1,200 but does not fit "A" models.

The 4-into-1 for the RV is better than a Powerflow for a Cessna, Piper, Grumman or Mooney. The reason is Powerflow has to make compromises to fit their pipes in factory planes and incorporate mufflers. They are clever but ugly with the big **primary pipes sticking out the cowl (draggy).

There are plenty of great exhaust companies for RV's. You have your choice, 4-into-4, crossover and 4 into 1, not to mention custom made to order. The simplest, easiest and most common is the crossover. The 4-into-1 is technically better, but does not fit on RV-"A" models. The average RV'er will be happy with a crossover. If you get a custom 4-into-1 for your RV, it will be better than a Powerflow they make today, not withstanding their claim of entering the experimental market in the future. The price would be a question, since they are use to getting almost $4,000.00 for exahust! :eek:

They're about 4 or 5 major makers of off the shelf and custom exhaust for RV's. Vetterman is the default choice and popular. Aircraft Technologies is my choice. There is also Custom Aircraft Parts and another in Colorado.

Leave the Powerflow for the Cessna guys, we have better and cheaper alternatives. The quality of our exhaust is every bit as good as any factory plane. Until Powerflow builds a custom exhaust for a RV's there current systems will not fit anyway, unless may be you want pipes sticking out the front of the cowl like a Cessna (ugly and draggy).

** Pipe technology - There are usually two pipes in an exhaust system, the primary and secondary. The primary is the tube that goes from the cylinder to where it joins another pipe or pipes. The secondary is the pipe that collects one or more pipes and exits the exhaust out the cowl. There are ideal lengths, and it's not top secreat. Bottom line the secondary should ideally be 20"-30" long. If you look at Powerflow you see the long secondary exhaust pipe on their Cessna systems. You will note some (not all) 4-into-1 systems on RV's are shorter, like 10"-12". That is a compromise for looks and external drag. It is not ideal as a longer pipe but looses little performance. Even powerflow now offers a "SHORT STACK" version. People did not like that long secondary hanging out in the breeze.

Last edited:
freegespeed said:
Anybody out here in the VAF world ever hear about, or actually do an installation of a Powerflow exhaust system in an RV.
I agree with George (for once). Your basic assumption that there is 20hp to be had by changing exhausts on an RV is not correct. Cessna (etc) exhausts are not very good at getting best power from an engine - hence the reason for fitting a Powerflow. Vetterman, or similar, exhausts on an RV will give very close to rated power. No need to spend 5 times as much to get no more power and a bunch of cowling mods.

Pete

Powerflow as an option

"You don't want powerflow, at least at this time in my opinion. Their "claim to Fame" is they figured a way out to make a 4-into-1 collector with tube lengths in the proper range and than a **secondary, the long thing sticking out the cowl on many of their systems. That's a pretty good trick while keeping the general original muffler and cabin heat exchanger. That is also why they charge, I don't know, over $3,500.00 for their exhaust, because they can. We have other options as experimental aircraft."

More options? Absolutely! But PF does have a track record that makes it worth exploring. I talked with them several years ago and came away rather disappointed that their system would be difficult to incorporate into my RV. At the time, they didn't (at least IMHO) understand the market potential of the RV community and were not really ready to assist in the effort, either. After an extensive talk this year at OSH, that may be changing.

The price on their existing experimental systems is $2695 and $2895/ceramic coated. An RV system should not exceed that and perhaps be somewhat less due to market potential.

"The 23.75 HP increase is OVER a really really poor factory exhaust which is a little better than your car exhaust system with a potato stuffed in the tail pipe. It is not that their system is great, it is just the factory systems they are replacing are that bad."

Again, right on. Their system will only give an 8-10 hp increase over the standard X-over found on most RV's. That's only about as much as changing to 10:1 pistons!

"The "standard" unmuffled cross over typically found on RV's is way better than a stock Piper or Cessna exhaust. You would not see an appreciable increase in power going from a RV crossover exhaust to their exhaust, even if that was possible. At this time it is not even possible, because the powerflow with not fit as you guessed."

The problem here isn't the exhaust system but the cowl. Non-standard cowls are pretty common on the flight line these days. Sam James has quite a following, and rightly so. He has eliminated some of the problems with the standard cowl, added some speed, and people are happy. True, the PF won't fit into his cowls either. We would need a new cowl.

While we making a new cowl, why not address the pinhole issue, improve cooling airflow and put in a decent inlet/filter system?

"A RV crossover is about $800, and a 4-into-1 RV exhaust which has some power advantage, go for $1,200 but does not fit "A" models.

The 4-into-1 for the RV is better than a Powerflow for a Cessna, Piper, Grumman or Mooney. The reason is Powerflow has to make compromises to fit their pipes in factory planes and incorporate mufflers. They are clever but ugly with the big primary pipes sticking out the cowl (draggy)."

Mufflers aren't a bad idea, but there are options here. The secondary pipe can be changed easily and doesn't have to be ugly. Personally, I would opt for a muffler, even at the expense of a few hp/mph. Regulations may change our thinking here.

"There are plenty of great exhaust companies for RV's. You have your choice, 4-into-4, crossover and 4 into 1, not to mention custom made to order. The simplest, easiest and most common is the crossover. The 4-into-1 is technically better, but does not fit on RV-"A" models. The average RV'er will be happy with a crossover. If you get a custom 4-into-1 for your RV, it will be better than a Powerflow they make today, not withstanding their claim of entering the experimental market in the future. The price would be a question, since they are use to getting almost $4,000.00 for exahust! :eek:"

The 4 into 1 gives some other advantages besides hp. More even scavenging evens out egt's and allows more agressive leaning/lower fuel burn. All 4 into 1's give you that. And don't forget that part of that $4000 comes from STC paperwork and certification, something not applicable to the RV market.

"They're about 4 or 5 major makers of off the shelf and custom exhaust for RV's. Vetterman is the default choice and popular. Aircraft Technologies is my choice. There is also Custom Aircraft Parts and another in Colorado.

Leave the Powerflow for the Cessna guys, we have better and cheaper alternatives. The quality of our exhaust is every bit as good as any factory plane. Until Powerflow builds a custom exhaust for a RV's there current systems will not fit anyway, unless may be you want pipes sticking out the front of the cowl like a Cessna (ugly and draggy).

** Pipe technology - There are usually two pipes in an exhaust system, the primary and secondary. The primary is the tube that goes from the cylinder to where it joins another pipe or pipes. The secondary is the pipe that collects one or more pipes and exits the exhaust out the cowl. There are ideal lengths, and it's not top secreat. Bottom line the secondary should ideally be 20"-30" long. If you look at Powerflow you see the long secondary exhaust pipe on their Cessna systems. You will note some (not all) 4-into-1 systems on RV's are shorter, like 10"-12". That is a compromise for looks and external drag. It is not ideal as a longer pipe but looses little performance. Even powerflow now offers a "SHORT STACK" version. People did not like that long secondary hanging out in the breeze."

Any improvement to the standard system will involve compromises. Cost vs. performance will always enter into the equation. Looks vs drag might be a factor, but that can surely be addressed. What should really happen is an honest look at the FWF system AS A SYSTEM. Talks are underway. Gamut Services is addressing this as their next major project. Powerflow may be a part of the solution. Costs (when done as a part of the building process) should not be a major issue, although a modification to an existing aircraft could be expensive. There is no target date at present, but having an aircraft as Oshkosh 2007 would be nice. So would having a cowl without thousands of pinholes to fill!

Bob Kelly

Short Stack

gmcjetpilot said:
Even powerflow now offers a "SHORT STACK" version. People did not like that long secondary hanging out in the breeze.

I too agree with George, even though I had a PowerFlow added to my Grumman Tiger...

However George, the "Short Stack" does not shorten the length of the last portion of the 4-into-1 pipe. They just sort of fold it up inside the cowling, and incorporate half of the muffler inside the cowling.... just for improved looks. The lengths are the same.

This might have an effect of creating more heat under the cowling in the area of the engine accessories and battery on the Grummans... the jury is still out on the heat issue.

The muffler portion would be called a "straight-thru glass pack" by the automotive folks.

gil in Tucson

..and yes, the PowerFlow was an improvement... :)

VAF forums rule!

I think everybody is looking for some performance enhancements for their planes (especially RV's with the 150 hp 0-320 engines). I appreciate all the responces to this topic .

I have a basic crossover exhaust system which works fine with two secondary pipes. In the future maybe the shear number of RV's out there will get Powerflow's R&D department working on a suitable Vans exuaust system. It is clear to me now (thanks to you guys) that the performance increase would be relatively smaller on my RV6A then on a Cessna or Piper.

I may look into some the other stainless steel exhaust systems mentioned here and see if I might get some improvement in performance. A small muffler would be nice, and I believe some of those companies are making those as well.

Thanks

Good to know

freegespeed said:
I have a basic crossover exhaust system which works fine with two secondary pipes. In the future maybe the shear number of RV's out there will get Powerflow's R&D department working on a suitable Vans exuaust system. It is clear to me now (thanks to you guys) that the performance increase would be relatively smaller on my RV6A then on a Cessna or Piper. Thanks
The only down side of the crossover to me is the primary and secondary lengths are different (not tuned) from cylinder to cylinder. This in theory produces uneven power pulses between jugs. However from a cost, bang for bucks and the readily available systems off the shelf that fit well, the crossover is a good choice.

You could go to 4 separate pipes and get even or balance between cylinders and loose some savaging.

Or you could go with 4-into-1 and have a harder installation (near impossible on "A" models) and more expense, to gain of a few more HP? How much HP you gain over X-over pipes is up to the engine/installation, may be 8 HP over a crossover?

It also depends on what RPM you are at. Do you fly fast or cruise? Ideally any pipes change would also have matching induction, ignition, cam timing/profile and fuel system changes to enhance the pipes characteristics.

The no free lunch applies here. Pipes alone can only do so much. I am reminded of the song, relax be happy. If your pipes are not cracking or leaking than leave it alone.

Everyone else, Bob, gil, pete, thanks for the comments and info, good to know.

Last edited:
Vetterman's customer service is excellent

I have a Vetterman exhaust on my 6A. It does a pretty good job and hasn't cracked in 500 hours. However, it did manage to nearly destroy one of the ball joints and pour exhaust gas over the carb (may have been an installation fault). I called up Larry Vetterman, he said send it back and he would fix it. He did, very quickly, and replaced the tail pipes, one of the headers and the other ball joint for good measure. I was expecting to pay $$$, the bill was less than $70, including shipping and new gaskets. I then managed to separate one of the ball joints installing it - the fix was to weld in a new ball joint (again done very quickly). While I was waiting for the bill to arrive I went to an airshow and happened to bump in to Larry (only knew it was him by his name tag). When I asked when how much the bill was and when it would arrive he said he was not sending a bill, it was all part of the service. To my mind this is really excellent customer service. I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending Larry Vetterman's exhausts.

Pete

Their Mooney setup may be able to be made to work in a RV7 or 8 cowl with very little modification. And they already have it setup for fwd facing sumps... :)

But........

osxuser said:
Their Mooney setup may be able to be made to work in a RV7 or 8 cowl with very little modification. And they already have it setup for fwd facing sumps... :)
Ya sure Ya betch ah. but but but they want either $4190 or $4590 for a set. ha ha ha ha ha he he he he he he :D

I like the $700-$1,200 price tag better. Some said they had an experimental version for over $2K? I don't know but still not sure what advantage there is.

I admit I am insanely jealous :eek: that PowerFlow figured out how to do this on factory planes and get a STC, because I could have done it (If I would have thought of it and started a company and ...........). :rolleyes:

Really I am kidding I am not jealous; I wish I would have thought of the idea first. At over $3,000 a pop they sold about 2,000 systems for 6 $MILLION$ in sales, for PIPES! Darn that is pretty good. Getting a STC was probably a mountain of work, but how or why do we care. RV's don't need STC stuff. I doubt if they can make pipes to sell for $4,500 they will sell us pipes for cheap.

They offer nothing unique for RV'ers since..........

"We (RV'ers) have no STC.........What STC........WE don't need to show you no STC..........We ain't got no stinking STC............" :p

The point is why pay certified prices for an experimental.

I think Powerflow has a much larger heat muff. No doubt the heat muff can put out more heat because it wraps around all 4 pipes. However the Aircraft Exhaust Technology pipes I have Aircraft Exhaust Technologies welds heat studs onto the pipe which are inside the heat muff. They where originally designed for and used on high end certified aircraft exhaust with a hi-tech process. They are very efficient and get way more heat than simple heat muffs. Use two if you like. (click me) Granted this is off one pipe. I will have the other three pipes ceramic coated. I could install second heat muff but don't think I will need it. If I did I would need to leave the ceramic coating off. If you coat the pipe it does not work so well for heating air.

For sound attenuation, reduction Powerflow looks like they use "Glass Paks", simple flow through mufflers with fiberglass batting surrounding a perforated tube. I don't think the powerflow exhaust are super quiet. In fact because they stick out fairly acute angle to the airflow they look like they are more drag. However from a cockpit sound standpoint they may be quite. RV exhaust tends to exit fairly close and near parallel to the belly aft of the firewall. While less drag it no doubt makes more floor board vibration and noise. It is a trade off. The extra few miles per hour getting a little "Jet" thrust from the exhaust or the powerflow approach.

I could add a SuperTrapp muffler or racing glasspak bullet on my 4-into-1.
31.jpg

I am not sure the weight and drag is worth the small sound reduction.

If powerflow offers a competitively priced system for the RV someday than great. More the merrier. It is possible for the RV-"A" models the power flow design will fit and give a little more Perf than a crossover? I just don't think a 4-into-1 is a must have for a daily flyer, i.e., a crossover is good enough. If you want a 4-into-1 for an model you can have one custom made for less than a powerflow. You could make your own out of mild steel or even Stainless, but stainless is a little more tricky to properly weld. If stainless is not welded properly it will crack.

Last edited:
Tubing diameter

George,
One other thing PowerFlow does is use much smaller diameter tubing for the initial pipes. The tubing is significantly "necked down" from the diameter right at the exhaust bolt flange. The EGT clamps have a lot of extra material hanging out....
I'm not sure what this does, but I suspect it might make the gases flow faster and use a shorter length for tuning??

As far as the Grummans go, rumors are that a Vetterman cross-over systems is being tested and might be a future STC... and gets almost the same performance increase as the PowerFlow. It's the stock system that is poor.... :)

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Interesting

az_gila said:
George,
One other thing PowerFlow does is use much smaller diameter tubing for the initial pipes. The tubing is significantly "necked down" from the diameter right at the exhaust bolt flange. The EGT clamps have a lot of extra material hanging out....

I'm not sure what this does, but I suspect it might make the gases flow faster and use a shorter length for tuning??

As far as the Grumman's go, rumors are that a Vetterman cross-over systems is being tested and might be a future STC... and gets almost the same performance increase as the PowerFlow. It's the stock system that is poor.... :)

gil in Tucson
Thanks gil, good info. Interesting. THe neck down might be a "anti-reversion" cone? Who knows. May be they do that so they can get the bolts on. Do you know what the basic diameter is?

I don't want to get into critiquing power flow since I only know what they show on their web site pictures. They use to have more revealing pictures and descriptions on their web site. They once describe pipe lengths and diameters in detail. I think they took that info off line. There was nothing special, just standard stuff I expected.

From Powerflows pictures I see some less than ideal 180 degree turns, secondary pipe (the big one) making a 90 degree turn out of the collector and what looks short primaries, less than ideal (34-38" long).

I don't doubt powerflow's expertise in making exhaust for factory planes. However every design has compromises to make it work. Clearly they had some physical and system constraints.

It makes me wounder how well it works compared to say a RV 4-into-1 or crossover. If I had to guess, I think the RV exhaust would out perform the powerflow due to compromises needed to make their system fit. In RV's we go straight aft and out.

It's possible that powerflow is designed to match the factory induction and airbox found on factory planes. RV's have better air scoops and air boxes, which flow way more air with less pressure loss. That would affect the optimal pipe design.

Exhaust pipes will only do so much, unless you tune other parts of the engine to mach, like the cam shaft.