chrispratt

Well Known Member
Recent re-grading of the taxi way in front of my hangar has significantly increased the slope of the surface (grass/dirt/mud depending on the weather) and made it impossible for me to pull my airplane into the hangar by myself. I have the Bogert Bogi-Bar which is great but no match for the new slope/terrain combination. So it looks like it's time to buy a powered towbar for my -8.

In exploring the AC Spruce site and the Internet I've found references to Tow Buddy, Power Tow, and Tail-Dragger Dragger, but the information offered is scant and the tailwheel adapters I've seen are all for Scott style tailwheels which are much larger than the -8's.

At $1k+ for these babies, I'm leery of buying anything without some recommendations. Can anyone offer any experience with any of these or others on an RV tailwheel airplane and can recommend a brand?

Thanks.

Chris

P.S. In case you're wondering, I've tried the aircraft winch sold by AC Spruce and it broke on the first use. Might work okay for a nosewheel airplane where you can guide the plane from the front but latching it to the tail results in a bad oscillation that gets worse and worse.

I have an electrical one I bought for a 206 that may work for a 8? It has adjustable clamps that fit to the nuts on the wheel. I never use it anymore and it is just sitting in the garage. PM me and I will send more info and pics if your interested.

(snip)
At $1k+ for these babies, I'm leery of buying anything without some recommendations. Can anyone offer any experience with any of these or others on an RV tailwheel airplane and can recommend a brand?

Thanks.

Chris

P.S. In case you're wondering, I've tried the aircraft winch sold by AC Spruce and it broke on the first use. Might work okay for a nosewheel airplane where you can guide the plane from the front but latching it to the tail results in a bad oscillation that gets worse and worse.

I'm a huge fan of electric golf carts as airplane tugs. $1K, with careful shopping can buy a serviceable electric golf cart. I've used a golf cart to tow tailwheel RVs, our Cirrus, a Cessna 337 and other aircraft. I've even seen one used (on fairly level ground) to move a Mitsubishi MU-2 around.

Golf carts are also useful for other things around the airport, and you can avoid the ridicule inevitable with, for example, a pink scooter.

Small lawn tractors with hydrostatic transmissions are also god tugs, and can be had cheaply on craigslist if the mowing deck needs repair. They are much more trouble to maintain though, and aren't otherwise good airport vehicles.

I've owned two gas-powered aero-tows, and wouldn't buy another one.

Others disagree with me on this, so solicit other opinions.

I rigged my towbar for use on my 4 wheeler that I now keep at the airport. Our grass strip is out in the country, so my kids can ride on the acreage surrounding the airport if they feel like riding. I like the electric golfcart idea, and will keep my eye open for one.

Mount some kind of winch on the back of your hanger?

He tried it.

...P.S. In case you're wondering, I've tried the aircraft winch sold by AC Spruce and it broke on the first use. Might work okay for a nosewheel airplane where you can guide the plane from the front but latching it to the tail results in a bad oscillation that gets worse and worse.

Powered towbar

A member of Flying Physicians built one powered by an old 9v Makita electric drill. It could move a Bonanza in and out of hanger several times on a charge if my memory is correct. He also sent some drawings to the mag. I don't have 'em but will try to find and let u know. It was inexpensive.

Chris, I was gonna post that you apparently just need to work out some, ya wimp. :D

But I wouldn't post that.

I'm a huge fan of electric golf carts as airplane tugs. $1K, with careful shopping can buy a serviceable electric golf cart. I've used a golf cart to tow tailwheel RVs, our Cirrus, a Cessna 337 and other aircraft. I've even seen one used (on fairly level ground) to move a Mitsubishi MU-2 around.

Golf carts are also useful for other things around the airport, and you can avoid the ridicule inevitable with, for example, a pink scooter.
QUOTE]

Good idea, the problem being I have a T-hangar and the depth doesn't allow enough manuevering room for something as large as a golf cart/airplane combo. But I wouldn't mind having a non-pink one just to travel the airport grounds.

A friend of mine at Addison airport called this morning to say he has an electric powered tug that I can borrow to try out (didn't mention a brand name). It will need an adapter for an RV but he says he's used it pull much bigger aircraft without a problem. He also said you can run this thing off a portable electric drill or even better, a plug-in electric drill for a bit more power (torque). He too prefers the electric over the gas motors having tried both. I'm going to try it out and will report back.

Thanks for the comments.

Chris

Last edited:
As the former owner of an aircraft two to three times as heavy as an RV-8, I would recommend a small lawn tractors with a hydrostatic transmission. The end of the season is a good time to get cheap lawn tractors. If you are willing to spend a little more an ATV would also do the job and is much more useful for driving around the airport.

If you are worried about space at the back of your T hanger for maneuvering, you might be able to rig up a Tow bar between the two main wheels and push the aircraft from the front, like the T-6 owners.

TR-6B.jpg

...If you are worried about space at the back of your T hanger for maneuvering, you might be able to rig up a Tow bar between the two main wheels and push the aircraft from the front, like the T-6 owners.

TR-6B.jpg

Neat idea, thanks.

Chris