Kato's 8

Well Known Member
I have a delima that im not sure how best to solve.
Since my standard Vans switchbreaker console is full, I do not have room for aditional cb for a second Cigarrette adapter and a flasher unit for wig wag that I want fused for 10amp each and also turned off by the battery switch.
Here is what i have done: I installed the cig plug, wig wag switch and flasher unit as well as two 10 amp pull type CB's to that lower shelf console in front right side under the switch console. My thinking was id pull power from the positive side of the buss(tie in to the copper bar) and run a separate lead to each cb below and then wire the flashe and cig adapter. And then it struck me! I wont have any wire protection from the buss down to my cbs...right?
I was also wondering.. the wire length from my cbs to the cig adap and flasher are only a few inches or so. Seems strange to have cb that close to the device. What should I do differently?. Should I come off the load side of the switch breaker for lets say the radios breaker (10 amp) and go straight to the devices I want powered or to the cbs ihve mentioned so that the cig and flasher wont affect the radio switch breaker. I thought my idea was a simple one in function but now I se it may not work well.
Thanks again for any advice.
Bill

there are going to be areas where there are unprotected wires. ie battery to master, master to the C/B buss ect. if the wire size is proper from the buss to the C/B and the wire routed properly then there is really no problem with that setup. I try never to piggy back on to a C/B. the C/B should be sized right for the load that is on it, adding an additional load is not good practice. especially a power outlet that will see loads that will vary from device to device.

I would just go with a feed from the buss to the new C/B's and then to the new devices. I would even up size the feed wire one size just for an added margin.

you do need to make sure the wire size from the master to the C/B panel, or wherever you get the feed from, can handle the extra load.

bob burns
rv-4
N82RB

Bill,

The bus is 'sort of' fused. You can turn off the master switch if there is a short on the wire from the master contactor to the bus. Same is true if there is a problem on the wires from your bus to the remote circuit breakers.

For my cigarette adapter plug I chose to protect it with an in line fuse instead of adding another CB. It made the wiring much simpler. It's not accessible inflight but resetting a CB in flight is risky anyway.

Cigerette Lighter Circuit

FWIW: The cigarette lighter isn't a "critical safety of flight" circuit so using an in line fuse is not a problem and a good idea. :cool: