Yes we have...almost all of them including those and the EXP buss type stuff. This falls almost into the same category as the Van's wiring haress/kit. If you build your plane to use almost exactly what they are made for then they are great, but if you deviate much or go beyond their capabilities they are a headache. We've installed a number of them, but typically the work required to make them work with full panels outweighs the benefit of the panel. Most of them don't have enough current capability, enough circuits, or enough flexibility to work with the average RV. But, like I said we've used them - I just wouln't recommend them for most applications.

The big thing is price. For about the same price +/- you can buy breakers and switches (or even sprinkle in some fuses) and configure your panel exactly how you need and want it.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks Stein.
Question - do you guys have rocker switches, similar to those ones on the power panel? I love the look of those switches, but haven't been able to find them on your site.

Hi Phil,

I haven't used this particular product so I can't comment on it specifically. I have been involved with a similar type of product in a "certified" environment and will provide the following feedback...

This power panel may make your wiring installation easier and faster, but at significant cost. Breakers and switches are not necessarily expensive. And installation of discrete switches allows you to group them by function - a good idea if you're the type of pilot who likes to develop proficiency in being able to do things by "feel" so you can operate the airplane even if the lights go out.

From a technical perspective this particular product has a couple of serious shortcomings that I can see from the simple photos in the Spruce catalog. Firstly, the box appears to be 'open top' in nature. Any conductive object that happens to fall into the box is going to cause lots of zapping. A full enclosure to protect from inadvertant contact with the power circuits would be a VERY good idea for this type of product.

The second major shortcoming that I see is that in most RV's and similar GA airplanes we have our switches on or near the bottom of the instrument panel. This magically translates to easier access from the underside for future modifications. Read this as meaning that it's usually easier to lie on your back with your head between the rudder pedals when you're installing a new power circuit or switch. The terminals on this particular product are set up for access from the top. This would be a real bear to work on once installed.

The up-side to this box is that it would make a pretty snazzy looking installation!

Phil - check out the rocker switches from Aveo (they've been advertised here, I believe). I played with them at OSH and really like their look and feel. And it appears they're built well, too.

Thanks Stein.
Question - do you guys have rocker switches, similar to those ones on the power panel? I love the look of those switches, but haven't been able to find them on your site.

Hi Phil,

We don't have those rockers. We have used them in the past, but they are simply consumer/auto grade common switches you can find all over the place (try Allied/Mouser/Digikey, etc if those are what you want). They aren't the most robust switches in the world though. We (like most of the other panel shops) pretty much only use the Honeywell AML series rockers because theya re very high quality and have separate lighting circuits.

We are shortly doing a panel with the Aveo switches (which BTW are also very common switches) so we'll see how they work. They are traditionally too large for most panel installations which is why I think you just won't see a lot of those being installed in RV's...but who knows.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

...This power panel may make your wiring installation easier and faster, but at significant cost. Breakers and switches are not necessarily expensive. And installation of discrete switches allows you to group them by function - a good idea if you're the type of pilot who likes to develop proficiency in being able to do things by "feel" so you can operate the airplane even if the lights go out...
Here is where I disagree with the thought of grouping switches by function.

My preference and recommendation is to group switches by phase of flight.

If you do this, then you want to set your switches where you need/want them, which is not by function.

What I'm saying is to group the switches you need for landing together (fuel pump, landing, and taxi light.). Switches needed for starting should be together, master, starter, and mags. You get the idea. I don't see any need to have the interior light switch and dimmer mixed in with the landing, taxi, position, and strobe lights.

It seems a bit illogical until you lay out your panel in full scale and figure out how and where your hand moves in each phase of flight.

Put the things you don't need for flight out of the way. My cabin heat is way over on the right side of the sub-panel, along with the interior light switch.

PS. Panel layout is a very personal thing, design the panel you want. Don't do something some guy (that would be me) on the net tells you to do because it sounds right. Remember, this is your interface to your plane, build it the way you want it.

Last edited: