stapler101

I'm New Here
A friend who has a 10 got me reading this forum. Great site. As you see above, I have a 140 but I thought this might be a good place to post this question.
Where on the Cherokee 140 would be best to get power for a "cigarette lighter" plug to power a Garmin 496? The original outlet was removed by previous owner.

Again, forgive me for posting a cherokee question but I see that many of you here have vast knowledge.
thanks

Hey, I had one more question if I may. I just got a 496 and it has a certificate for a jeppesen update.
Since the 496 is so new, would you update now or save the freebie for later?

Hey, I had one more question if I may. I just got a 496 and it has a certificate for a jeppesen update.
Since the 496 is so new, would you update now or save the freebie for later?
The free update has an expiration date, you might want to check and see when that is. or, at least mine did and I missed it.

Depending on the year model of your Cherokee, the original cigarette lighter outlet might have been fed from a dedicated circuit breaker or connected directly to the master bus, using only the special "barrel" fuse that's threaded into the back of the lighter socket itself. Probably should consult the Piper service manual for your year model of Cherokee to locate how it was originally connected, and have your A&P reconnect a replacement one the same exact way. My Cherokee is a 1966 and I think the lighter is directly connected to the main bus, and is fused only by the barrel fuse at the back of the socket, since I have the old fashioned glass automotive type fuseholders for everything else in my plane, and I don't remember seeing one of those for the lighter.

Last edited:
Look for ADs

A friend who has a 10 got me reading this forum. Great site. As you see above, I have a 140 but I thought this might be a good place to post this question.
Where on the Cherokee 140 would be best to get power for a "cigarette lighter" plug to power a Garmin 496? The original outlet was removed by previous owner.

Again, forgive me for posting a cherokee question but I see that many of you here have vast knowledge.
thanks

Back in the dark corners of my old brain I recall an AD issue with "power outlets" (read: cigarette lighters.) You might want to make sure that the lighter wasn't removed to comply with an AD. Don't quote me on this, it might have been Cessna.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

There's no AD on the cigarette lighter outlets on Cherokees... I've researched the ADs for PA28's pretty thoroughly since I'm directly affected by them.

I've got my service manual in hand right now, and if the Cherokee is like mine, with fuses in the panel, airframe serial numbers 28-20000 thru 28-24999, it shows the "cigar" lighter to be connected to the main bus, thru a 10 amp fuse, presumably that barrel fuse on the back of the socket exactly like automobiles of the mid 1960's used to have. (See figure 11-54 which spans pages 4F11 and 4F12 in the Piper service manual. That's how my Cherokee is wired.

If the Cherokee 140 is serial number 28-25000 or later, then the cigar lighter is sharing a 15 amp circuit breaker with the starter solenoid circuit and a cabin or baggage lamp circuit. (numerous drawings and pages in the manual for various serial number ranges, but they all show the same concept of a shared circuit for the lighter, starter solenoid, and cabin or baggage area light).

Last edited: