Juicegoose

Well Known Member
Guys i'm thinking of picking up a power inverter for my truck that i can run my small jobsite air compressor on. Don't have power yet at the hanger i'm plotting on. My alternator on my truck is only a 130amp so that tells me i can go no more then 1500 watt inverter but i don't want to put to much stress on the alternator either. The air compressor is a cheap 2 hp 4 gallon jobsite compressor(oiled) what size would work in my situation thanks guys.

Horsepower to watts

I don't have the HP to watts formula with me, but I don't think you have enough power in your alternator to run a 2HP motor. I suggest you obtain a small gas powered generator to run your hanger.

Google inverters, lots of info out there.

I have called these folks http://www.theinverterstore.com/?gclid=CIT7rOCUuJMCFSoZagodZCIkCQ before, found them to be knowledgeable, and helpful.

What ever you choose, keep your 12 dc leads short, and make good connections.

I would consider a second battery dedicated to the inverter, set it up to be charged off the vehicle just like is done for the other kind of RV usage, with a backfeed isolation device. One example here http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=1869&src=SRQB

Good luck.

P.S. sure is nice to be able to run a coffee maker in my truck:D

If you're running an electric compressor, the key will be the starting current of the motor - starting current can be several times the running current. I doubt that many 1500W inverters will start a 2Hp compressor.

Keep runs to the inverter short with no exposed conductors / terminals. Fusing is a good idea.

TODR

for what it's worth, 1hp is around 750W, so 1500W is 2hp worth of power.

HOWEVER, a 2hp motor is not 100% efficient, so it'll probably require more than 1500W to operate. Plus, as mentioned, the inrush current might shut down the inverter.

Most inverters will handle a +50% inrush for about a second before complaining and shutting down.

Personally I run a 3 kilowatt inverter in my pickup, I spend a lot of time in the boonies and frequently find it quite helpful to have enough power onboard to run whatever load I choose. I have run my Sears 5hp air compressor from this inverter.

The alternator does not have to supply enough current to run the inverter - as long as your load is intermittent, the battery will make up the difference and when the load drops off, the alternator will recharge the battery. Keep in mind that your AC electrical load is not likely to be 100% efficient (exception is a resistance heater), and your inverter is not 100% efficient either - 90% is typical for units this size. Plan your wire runs to/from the battery with this in mind.

The suggestion for a second dedicated battery driving the inverter and charging off the vehicle alternator is a good one - that's the way mine is set up, using #2 welding cable for hot supply and frame ground with copper strap. I use a constant-duty solenoid to tie the two batteries together as long as the engine is running, when I kill the ignition the solenoid drops out. This prevents me from draining my primary vehicle battery via the inverter.

It should be noted as well that a 5hp motor, at a conversion factor of 758 watts per hp, would draw almost 3800 watts - but that is only at full load. Usually a 5-hp compressor is not pulling a full 5hp from the motor, more like 3.5 or therabouts, and the running current draw is less. I would be willing to bet that your 1500 watt inverter will run your 2hp compressor just fine - just take measures to ensure good power supply to the inverter.

Last edited:
Generator - Compresser - Welder

A company now makes a combo that gererates,compresses air , and welds! Look around before you buy some thing.
The next generation welder-generator-compressor is powered by a Kubota diesel engine. 15-20 cfm of air and 6 kw of electrical power. 300 amps for welding. This is a serious unit to supply all needed power. Contact ( Next Generation Power) for details and pricing.

Last edited:
Well maybe i was asking to much out of an inverter. besides a air compressor woudl 1000 watts be enough to run most anything else? Say for instance i went camping with the little lady and ran a 100ft extension cord to power a small fan or something? for say 12-24 hours

That 100' cord will be a problem.

Get a deep cycle marine battery, kind with a carry strap on top, and threaded studs on the terminals.

Haul it to the campsite, hook up the inverter directly to it, power away!!!

If you are ambitious, and good with a welder, you can make up a cradle to hold both the inverter, and battery, in a single unit. Put the carrying handle where it balances.-------this is one of my "someday" projects.