tikicarver

Well Known Member
I need to get my engine mount powder coated. I talked with a local shop and he said he has done a few engine mounts in the past but had a problem with the preservative oil in the tubes weeping out.

I thought about plugging the holes, but I think during the oven cure of the powder the pressure will build up and pop out the plugs.

Anyone have a good way to prevent the oil from messing up the job.

Just an idea - my cast iron frying pan has a nice black coating on it. I put it on by rubbing it with oil and putting it in a very hot, 500 deg., oven for an hour. That coating does not permit rust. I wonder if the same would occur inside an oiled engine mount?

Had mine powder coated and now, about 500 hours later, some of the clamps have worked into the paint. The heat of the engine compartment softens the paint. Good heat shields help but aren't perfect, and one of the marks is from a heat shield clamp.

Just so you know. Maybe you can get them to use a higher-temp paint than the stuff on mine.

An idea

tikicarver,

I have done a little powder coating. I had a problem with liquids behind the rivets once that came out during the baking. I tried putting the piece in the oven for a few minutes (in the case of oils it might take longer) then letting it cool and then applying the powder. That worked in my case.

Personally I'm not crazy about powder coating any structural parts of an aircraft. Powder coating is quite flexible and I've seen several instances where it has allowed cracking or corrosion to be going on undetected underneath the powder coating. I'd stick with a good epoxy paint on engine mounts or other main structural members.

Just my $.02 US!

Paint!

Looks like your maybe building an RV-4, there should be no problem powder coating a -4 mount as there is no oil inside it unless you put it there yourself and no open vent holes unless we missed one or you put one in. With that said I agree with Joe, I don’t like powder coat for the same reasons Joe listed. I would paint it.