Stormer

Has anybody powder coated the engind mount? Our 15 year RV6A project we have just taken over, the engine mount has some corrision and paint chipping. We are thinking of taking it to a professional, having it media blasted or chemical bath to remove the paint and then have it powder coated. Is this a recommended procedure?

Powder coating looks good but will hide cracks. That is the reason I painted mine.

There are lots of opinions on this subject. I have had my mount powder coated on my RV4 for 15 years. It cleans up easily and doesent chip or rust. My rocket mount has also been powder coated. I personally dont believe the claims that it hides cracks. I would choose a lighter color for easier inspection down the road though.
Ryan

mine also came from Vans with their light grey powder coating on it. I guess this is something the older kits didn't have?

I didn't have any problems spotting cracks in my powder coated engine mount after my prop strike. :(

My take on it: If you have cracks, you'll find out sooner rather than later anyway. And, be honest, when's the last time you've checked your engine mount during a preflight inspection?

I've had al my engine mounts powder coated. Looks good and is very durable.

Hans

Clear Powder Coat

Just a thought, if it was mine, I'd powder coat the engine mount gloss clear, blast cabinet clean it with 120grit aluminum oxide then powder coat it clear. If a crack does start to happen it can be seen better and the natural color of the steel after blast cabinet cleaning doesn't look to bad as it will be a nice clear glossy finish.