Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
Has anyone used powder coating on the baffles or other thin pieces of aluminum alloy materials. I had some powder coatings applied to my instrument panel inserts .064, but never to material a thin as the baffles. My concern is loss of temper from oven exposure at 400 deg for 15 min.

It seems as durable as the finish is, this would be a great way to finish the baffles.

Loss of temper

Bill,
I know of several RV's here that have been using powder coating on their baffles without any issues. I'm not sure of the metalurgy but loss of temper doesn't occur untill much higher temperatures.
Mark

Why Powder Coat?

It would look cool, I would not do it unless it was going to be a show plane. Even at that powder coating is heavy and difficult to touch up if scratched or marred.

If you wanted the wow cool look, poly urethane paint properly applied is very tough and can be real good looking!:cool:

But powder coating is easier because someone else does it for you:)

"It's your thing, do what you wanna do!"

I had the baffled on my Cessna 180 powder coated white. It was a good move. That was about 500 hours ago and they've held up very well. The heat from the engine hasn't affected them at all.

They look good but are surprisingly difficult to clean.

An unanticipated benefit is that when I'm poking around the engine, it's just a little brighter and easier to see.

I intend to do this on my RV-3B too, but that's a few years downstream. (Boxes from Van's about 2 weeks out right now.)

I had the engine mount powder coated as well and it discolored near the exhaust.

Dave
P.S. Yes, the heat affects the heat-treatment of the aluminum, but not much, and it's of no consequence. No cracks, no issues whatsoever.

I had a local shop anodize all my baffles for $50. Looks good, cleans easily an minimal weight gain.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I know of several RV-10s that have powder coated baffles. I'm intending on doing mine in a few weeks.

Bob

the power we use cures between 320 F and 392 F. which is well below the temps that are used for hardening and tempering, so it should not effect the base metal.

the powder we shoot should be shot at 3.5 mils thickness and that works out to 51.5 sq ft/ pound. not to much for a few sq/in of baffle.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Thanks for all the replies. The powder coat finish is such a durable coating. I am going to use a Drylac product that has a satin finish in a little darker color than LYCOMING grey. The same finish I used on my panel inserts.

Powder Coating

Bill,

I powder coated my RV-6 engine baffles. After 12 years and 800 hours they still look like brand new.

Danny
RV-6
N360DP

I powder coated my RV7 baffles and they stay clean and look great. I also powder coated all the .020 interior panels of the Cub and they came out really nice and it didn't warp the metal at all. Clean, light and scratch resistant finish. I also did the engine baffles. Don

I did

I powdercoated my baffles bright white and love it. No indication of metal heat tempering. I also powdercoated a bunch of interior parts like the baggage area floors, floors under feet, basically anything I thought would be a high wear part (but not white). I missed a few parts but got most of them and they have turned out to be incredibly durable. The white baffles have a couple benefits: looks good, looks clean, and VERY easy to see oil spills/leaks AND leaks through the baffles show up as little smoke trails on the white, which I then clean off and seal up with RTV.

Pictures:
RV101918.jpg

RV101919.jpg

RV101920.jpg