howardtlcc

Thinking of powder coating our baffling after fitting. Should I alodine the parts before assembly? Will that affect the powder coating process?

Thanks,

Howard

Why paint baffles?
Other than looks, cant think of a reason to add this weight. Help me understand.

Thinking of powder coating our baffling after fitting. Should I alodine the parts before assembly? Will that affect the powder coating process?

Thanks,

Howard
As the Chromate Conversion process changes the metal’s surface at a microscopic level, some covering processes do not bond well to the results. I would contact the provider of the powder coat to verify. For Example, I “Alodine” my aluminum spars, ribs, frames, etc. but can then only use a two-part epoxy primer to coat as the regular acid-etch primers will not adhere to the converted surface.

I have had many aluminium parts powdercoated. In general, powdercoat does not adhere well to aluminium. To remedy this, one of two methods were used. 1. Scuff the surfaces with sandpaper and a DA. 2. Alodine. This helped the powder stick very well. We did this on complex extruded parts where the shape was too intricate to scuff with a DA.

Howard

I gave mine to the powder coaters bare. They still look perfect 16 years later. Hard wearing and none has chipped off.

Regards Peter

Last edited:
Hi Howard,
I' have powder coated mine after Scotchbrite scuff and propylic alcohol degreasing. The coating is intact and the baffles are protected against corrosion and wearing 6 years after.

I used high temperature engine paint in silver. Heating the parts in the oven gradually to 200C before cooling produced a hard finish and minimal effort.

If you're going to go this route, see if you have a CeraKote vendor near by. I've used powder coating and the aforementioned. Cerakote is typically a thinner (thus lighter) application and it is far tougher in my experience. It can take the abuse of a firearm action cycling. There are a myriad of colors/finishes. Just throwing out another option. Mine are flat black, rattle can, engine paint.

Edit = picture added from different project for reference. Was a rusty POS when found in my departed friend’s hangar. BTW, no alodine. They recommend a surface profile from blasting but prepping an Al surface with scotchbrite is suitable to the tech reps there.

IMG_2671.jpeg

Last edited:

Thanks,

Howard
I don't think alodine will affect the parts if they are assembled or doing it in pieces. Just make be more careful to flush out all the alodine solution at the crevices if the parts are assembled before alodine.

My C180 has powder-coated baffle parts. While I like the white, it has embedded dirt in some places now, and the paint has come off in a small area. There is no sign that the baffles were Scotchbrited or alodined.

On my RV-3B project, I decided to leave the baffles bare aluminum.

Dave

I had mine powder-coated, just took the bare parts to the powder-coater. Still looks brand new. I had these powder-coated probably 15 years ago, but I've only been flying it for just under 2 years. Doh!