brenegan

Getting my parts together last weekend for firewall assembly I noticed a small amount of bubbling on one of the powder coated weldments. We all know what that means.... Corrosion lives underneath. Well, it wasn't bad. I media blasted it (maybe the size smaller than a dime and little to no pitting). Now I'm deciding weather or not to media blast all the weldments
so I can inspect them and then re-coat (either powder coat or epoxy) if necessary. What say ye?

Last edited:
Assuming you have stored them indoor in moderately dry climate, I would be concerned that coted parts would corrode at all. It could be a weakness in the weld.

Me too

Powdercoating can hide rust! I have found several areas of hidden corrosion under a few small blisters which when cleaned with a scotchbrite pad quickly revealed larger areas of rust under the powdercoating. The largest area on the control column was several inches wide. Check all powdercoated parts carefully and test any raised or pimpled areas with mild abrasion. In my limited experience bad areas will slough the coating easily and reveal the rust. Then attack that area with the scotchbrite and die grinder to clean it back to solid coating. Prime and paint.

Chuck