TShort

Well Known Member
Say, for example, someone wanted to change the color of the powdercoated interior components (roll bars, rudders, etc.).

How hard is it to remove the powdercoat? Is it hard not to damage the components?
Would this be relatively simple for a shop experienced in powdercoating to do? How about cost?

Thanks
Thomas

Just lightly sand the powder coat and paint it what ever color you want.
You don't have to repowder coat. I would recommend using a light coat of primer, though.
I have painted many powdercoated parts and the result is excellent.

Just did this

I jsut had a bunch of parts re-powdercoated. They do not remove the original coating, jsut scuff, clean, and re-apply desired color. Here's the sticks done in the new color. Rudder/ brake bars, canopy latch and flap torgue tubes were also done. Overall, I think they turned out well.

P9300150.JPG

Paint remover

TShort said:
Say, for example, someone wanted to change the color of the powdercoated interior components (roll bars, rudders, etc.).

How hard is it to remove the powdercoat? Is it hard not to damage the components?
Would this be relatively simple for a shop experienced in powdercoating to do?

Thanks
Thomas

Hi Thomas, I have powder coated quite a few things that didn't turn out right or I wanted to change colors and it can be removed. The best thing I've found is paint stripper, brush it on, let it sit till the powder coat bubbles or wringles and wipe it off with paper towels or a rag. Clean the parts very good with hot soap and water. An abrasive blast cabinet with glass beads or silicone oxide will not remove it. It will take chemicals to remove it if you want to get the parts to bare metal. STEEL parts can be put in a caustic hot tank to remove it like at an automotive machine shop or someplace that has a caustic hot tank. Another source is a Radiator shop with a tank to remove paint and strip parts that are aluminum. NOTE: DO NOT PUT ALUMINUM PARTS IN A CAUSTIC HOT TANK MADE FOR STEEL AS IT WILL EAT THE ALUMINUM UP!!!! Hope this helps some. AJ