kudo

I'm New Here
First of all, I look every day in awe at the projects you guys put together.

I'm lookin to go all in into an RV-4 but was wondering with all of yalls experience, if you had to do it over again (or a third, fourth, fifth...) What would you change?

I'm about to get a tool list. Already have access to a LOT of neat things (CNC's, prototyping, machining equipment). Any must haves?

Throw your wisdom upon me...:D:D

The 4 is an awesome plane, but from my understanding, it is not entirely a pre punched kit like the 7,8,12,14 or the 9 I'm building. The -4 will require more jigging, layout, drilling and fabricating. I would say the majority of new builds these days are of the pre-punched (and even quick build) type. So you need to understand a 4 might be a bit more of an undertaking than what you might come across on most current build logs. I hope to build a -3 or -4 some day, but I'd like to wrap my head around how much work theses are compared to the modern pre-punch, pop rivet, pre wired, etc. jobs.

I sent you a pm

I sent you some info on my classified via PM. Whether you buy my 4, a new kit or prepunched. Welcome to the crazy magic of building your own plane, it's great!

Welcome

Stephen, a big welcome to VAF...the only site for anything RV related.

Expect way more time building a -4 than almost any other model that's pre-punched.

The -4 is a very good handling and fun airplane tho'

Best,

I am starting the "paperwork" phase on my -4. I haven't built a pre-punched kit, so I can't compare the two. If I were to guess I would say that building a -4 would take about six months more of time vs. a slow build -8. People that I have spoken to that have owned both all agree that the -4 flies better. I am 6'2" and weigh 235 pounds and am comfortable in the -4. I moved the roll bar back two inches (provisions are made in the plans, and it does affect CG, but my CS prop balances it out). As far as tools, I spoke to Bob Avery and got everything he recommended, plus a bunch (200) of extra 3/32 & 1/8" clecos. I also purchased a right angle drill (Dotco, expensive but worth it) from Browns. It will save your bacon many times, and is worth it. The Longeron squeezer head set is a must and a 3" head set, and the mini one too. It is a great kit and I think the best looking and flying of the entire line up. To sum it up, you get into an -8 and strap on a -4, you assemble an -8 and build a -4.

Do you think the bump up in price vs time save for the rv-8 is worth it?

Hi Stephen and welcome!! Well, sounds like you are still wrestling with what to do. Perhaps you can find the two types under construction and go look. No question the pre-punching is a wonderful advantage. The -4 IS going to entail more work. The -8 is going to be pre punched and save you mucho time and no jig preparation work; but, when you're through you still have an 8 and not a 4. (No slam to 8s!!)

I'm crazy about the 4; but you do need to think about what you REALLY want. The 4 is surely doable and just look at some the beauties these guys have built or are building. Axel, Dayton Murdock, Smokey Ray and I could go on ad nauseam.

You are probably going through the toughest part of the build right now; wrestling with the commitment. I don't envy you the decision making. If you want a -4, go for it.

Best to you Stephen,

Deciding

I bought my RV-4 built but have friends who built theirs. From what they tell me it was alot of work. As far as the plane itself, you can't go wrong, wonderful flying airplane that I shake my head every time I see it.

If you don't want to wait and would rather fly sooner, then buy one, good deals out there.

Good Luck.

Well my take on building a -4 is this. I started construction of my -4 by buying an existing Empennage/Wing kit on Barnstormers for a great price but that wasn't the motivation for choosing the -4. I love the look of the -4 and (admittedly bias) truly think it's the sexiest of the Vans models. I love the cheek cowl and swept landing gear design. But I'm also torn because I love the look and performance of the Harmon Rocket II. What I'd really love is to combine the best of both worlds and build a Fastback 200hp Mini Rocket. But I don't have to make that decision yet since I'm still working on the Empennage. My point is that building a -4 affords a great deal of personalization you don't often see with the other pre-punched models if you decide to make it so. If the motivation is just to get a -4 flying there are lots of great buys on existing aircraft. For me, it's about building my dream personal aircraft and that will never be found on Barnstormers.

RV4

Build the 4, it is an education in actually building an aircraft. As stated the 7, 8, 9, are assembly kits.
Flying is the best of all the RV's. It has more record breaking history of any one home built design in aviation history. ;);:D