rv6builder

Well Known Member
For the engine guys out there- I just got my o-320 out of storage to prep for installation next weekend. It came from a salvage yard, has about 1500 hours on it but only 420 since a teardown, new cam, OH cylinders, mags, carb, crank inspection and new main bearings. I plan on installing it, running it, then doing the usual compression, timing, etc. checks on it. Just curious if anyone has any ideas of other things to look for on a used engine?

It wasnt totally inhibited when it went into storage. But it did sit in a nice warm office in my house for the last 6 years or so. Not too worried about corrosion, but I may pull a cylinder to check the cam...

Oh and I reckon a good pre-oil before start is in order!

Thanks!

Alex

If it was sitting in a dry place, I wouldn't pull a jug. I would preoil it as well as you can (pull bottom plugs, spin by hand until your arm is tired, then spin with starter u tail you get good oil pressure). Of course, don't do any of this until you are ready to run it. Do a good ground run, watching CHT's to keep under 400. Pull the filter and cut open to look for metal. Take a sample and send it in for analysis. If both of those look good then just run/fly, sending in a sample every 10-25 hours, also looking at the filter frequently for the first 50-75 hours, then go to normal ops.

That's what I would do.

Thanks for the fast reply! Sounds like great advice on the oil/filter analysis. Can't wait to fire it up!

Alex