xblueh2o

Well Known Member
I have to tell a story on myself first.
I made it to OSH this year (2012) with a buddy of mine in a warbird. During the down time my plan was to wander around and talk to some vendors to get hands on with some of the items I am contemplating when I finally get to building.
One day I was wandering the rows looking for a fastback 8 because I am leaning towards building one. I finally spied one and went down the row to look it over. After looking at it for about ten minutes I finally noticed the name on the prop card. Dan Horton. The drool marks on your airplane are mine, sorry. Later that day as I was walking back from the vendor halls towards the warbird area I stopped to look at another 8. What caught my eye was the cockpit. Not so much for whiz-bangery of the avionics but because whoever built it spent a good deal of time thinking about the electrical system and how to power essential equipment in the event of electrical issues. As I was looking at it I was reminded that the logic was not unlike Tsam which I had seen at Golden West. About that time I noticed Paul Dye's name on the canopy and then noticed Tsam parked in the next row. Yeah, my SA was a little low.

On to the question for Dan Horton.
I noticed that the inside of your canopy frame had a neat and finished very production looking flow to it. Is that standard showplanes or did you doctor yours up? If so, can you give me an idea of what you did?

I noticed that the inside of your canopy frame had a neat and finished very production looking flow to it. Is that standard showplanes or did you doctor yours up? If so, can you give me an idea of what you did?

Thank you. It is all standard Showplanes components. Yours can look the same....spend the time, enjoy the build.

Were I to build another I'd add a few carbon plies to the center transverse bulkhead. Fiberglass is low modulus and the compressed gas strut tries to stretch it when closed. Carbon would be stiff.

HA!!!!! I've been working for a few slow months on that very "production looking flow" that you speak of. Read carefully when Dan says "Yours 'can' look the same." I'm no Jedi master, but am persistent enough to find the force that allows me to channel my inner Horton, carbon plies and all. Bonding in the bulkheads is super easy. Making the finished product in that area look like Dan's, not so much, but possible.

Were I to build another I'd add a few carbon plies to the center transverse bulkhead. Fiberglass is low modulus and the compressed gas strut tries to stretch it when closed. Carbon would be stiff.

Great tip, I'll keep that in mind as I get to that stage of the build.
Thanks again.