lbgjb

Has anyone put in the 'better' airvents post construction on a 7A. On the web site it talks about doing some riveting which I don't think will work at this stage. The plastic Vans ones leak. thanks larry b. 850RV

Cheap Vents

Here is a link to vents for $60.00. I purchased two several months ago and they are the same units that sell for $130.00 plus from any supplier. I used this same seller several times. After I received my vents other builder asked if I could get more and I did. This is a good E-Bay seller and very easy to work with. Just take the vent out of the surround and purchase the inexpensive adapter for the back and you will be many dollars ahead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BEEC...ryZ26439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back in the mid 90s, when I built my RV6, we all used the VAN's plastic vents. The manual provided a procedure to fix the vents so they didn't leak, as follows... Open the vent and smear vaseline on the inside circumference of the tube wall, inside the vent. Close the vent and smear on some RTV from the back side all around the edge of the vent door and let it set up. after the RTV cures, you can open and close the vent to break the RTV away from the wall of the vent. Trim off the excess as you like and the vent will seal perfectly. I used this method and it was still working great after 7 years and 900 hours when I sold the plane. It got plenty cold in St.Louis, where I lived, so I can attest to the fact that the seal was very good and did not leak.

sf3543 said:
Back in the mid 90s, when I built my RV6, we all used the VAN's plastic vents. The manual provided a procedure to fix the vents so they didn't leak, as follows... Open the vent and smear vaseline on the inside circumference of the tube wall, inside the vent. Close the vent and smear on some RTV from the back side all around the edge of the vent door and let it set up. after the RTV cures, you can open and close the vent to break the RTV away from the wall of the vent. Trim off the excess as you like and the vent will seal perfectly. I used this method and it was still working great after 7 years and 900 hours when I sold the plane. It got plenty cold in St.Louis, where I lived, so I can attest to the fact that the seal was very good and did not leak.

The vents in the kit come with the instructions for just this. Thanks for letting me know that this really works. I plan on following them rather than spend even more money. Still gotta buy gas when this thing is ready!

Mike R.

Capflyer said:
The vents in the kit come with the instructions for just this. Thanks for letting me know that this really works. I plan on following them rather than spend even more money. Still gotta buy gas when this thing is ready!

Mike R.

I started down that road, and decided it was a hack. I just ordered the aluminum vents from experimentalair. Haven't flown either, but the plastic/RTV kludge wasn't for me.