William

Well Known Member
I'm finishing the last small touches on my rv6a and I'm greasing the wheel bearings today. I have the Matco wheels and they come with a timkin tapered roller bearing with integrated rubber seal. How can I grease these by hand? The rubber seal is on the larger diameter side of the bearing and this is the side typically used to pack the bearing by hand. Also how do you know when the bearing is full as the seal is in the way so you can't see any flowing out the other side? Confused... (-;

Thanks
Bill

By hand the old fashioned way works just fine. Just pack them from the opposite side. When full the grease will be oozing out of the pins.

By hand the old fashioned way works just fine. Just pack them from the opposite side. When full the grease will be oozing out of the pins.

Zilik I was hoping for the same but what I found was as I tried to work the grease into the bearing using the method below some grease would go into the bearing but the majority would flow to the outside rollars. The problem with that is I have no way to know if the grease on the rollers are grease that has ouzed out or grease that had just flowed to the outside of the bearing.

Bill

This gizmo takes some of the mess out of it and makes the job a bit quicker.
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/appages/handybearingpacker.php?clickkey=13492

Hi Joe thanks for the link. I just picked one of those up from advanced auto parts and will finish greasing the bearings tomorrow.

With the severe consequences of a failed wheel bearing I just didn't feel safe with hand greasing these bearings with the integral rubber seal. With this bearing packer I will be able to visually see when the grease starts to ooze out of the bearing.

Thanks everyone for helping. I'm so close to the end of this build. Just didn't want to overlook something with all the excitement.

Bill

+1 on the previous post. Back in the day (c. 1979) I used to grease bearings by hand. The AS&$ unit works great....