UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I've got a problem with getting full travel of the prop governor arm.
As you can see in the picture below, the shaft of the control cable is dangerously close to hitting a screw and safety wire on the governor. If I remove the bracket and rotate it to the next set of holes, the bracket hits the oil filter.

2moqyoy.jpg

What I am proposing to do is to use a short section of steel angle iron to move the hole the control line passes through up a couple of inches. Below is a picture of me holding an aluminum angle to give you an idea. I will put a bolt through the original hole in the bracket and drill the same sized hole higher on the angle. Additionally, I will drill a small hole on the front side of the angle through the bracket to prevent the angle extension from rotating.
2s1lsnl.jpg

It seems to me that this would be a quick and inexpensive solution to my travel / interference problem.... can anyone see a problem with what I am proposing?

Thanks,
Jason

No need. Cut the safety wire on the screws retaining the ring on the back of the governor, and loosen the screws. Then rotate the assembly including the arm to the position that works best with bracket & cable. Tighten the screws. Re-safety. Done.

Removing the screws and rotating the prop govenor might help in avoiding the screw, but I an also having some issues with the cable sliding smoothly.

Looking at how the bracket is now set, the control cable comes down from the firewall, then has to bend somewhat sharpley at the end of the bracket to go up to the prop govenor. If I added a short angle extension to the end of the bracket, I could minimize the bend at the end of the bracket.

I see adding the extension as killing two birds with one stone. But if there is some safety reason why it wouldn't work, I'd be all ears.

Thanks,
Jason

OK, after looking at your pics again I think you have the bracket backwards. The cable is supposed to route through the long slot in it.

I don't have a shot of my bracket with cable going through it, but here's one fitted to my Jihostroj governor. Note that the cable flange is pointed towards the front of the engine. I had to do some grinding on the bracket so it would clear the OD of the flange, hence the crappy-looking grey paint that doesn't match the OEM powdercoating.

850894512_WjYxZ-L.jpg

Well ****......... you are correct, I have the bracket on the govenor backwards. I think it will be easier to remove the whole govenor and flip the bracket then try and do it on the engine....

Thanks,
Jason

Well ****......... you are correct, I have the bracket on the govenor backwards. I think it will be easier to remove the whole govenor and flip the bracket then try and do it on the engine....

Thanks,
Jason

If it would help I can take a picture of the cable going through the bracket, since mine has been resting sedately in that location for several months now, awaiting the day (hopefully this summer) when it will become immensely useful.