airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
On my 9A I've got an IO360 hung with a Superior forward-facing cold-air sump. I'm getting down to the last parts of the FWF install and several times now I've bumped the starter while working on various things, and I figured I should fill it with oil and at least spin it long enough to develop pressure if I'm going to occasionally be doing that. I put 6 quarts in, pulled the top plugs, no leaks, pulled all my connections (oil cooler, oil pressure line, oil filter) open, and started spinning the starter. I ran it for 8-10 seconds at a time, then down to let the starter cooler, then back on it again. I've got about 60 seconds total cranking time on it so far and I've got no oil coming out anywhere - zip, zilch, zero, nada.

I know all the oil galleries will be empty, but I would think I should see some oil somewhere in that time if the oil pump is working. I have a sump fingerscreen installed, and an ECI vertical oil filter adapter with vernatherm installed. I'm wondering if I've got something blocking the flow to my filter and it's recirculating, or if my pump might be bad. I thought I'd ask here before dropping my sump and looking there, since all my exhaust and induction has to come off for that. Did I miss something on the filter adapter install that's causing my problem? I also have a Jihostroj prop governor installed and I'm not seeing any oil coming out into the crankshaft gallery, so I really don't think I'm getting anything out of the oil pump at this point.

Here are the front and aft areas of my ECI oil filter adapter, showing the forward plug (which I think is the overpressure relief?) and the aft-mounted vernatherm.

IMG_0655_zpsca666df1.jpg

IMG_0656_zps1201ed1e.jpg

Last edited:
Greg,
Did you try pre-oiling before spinning the engine. The way I did mine was to connect a pump up sprayer (like you use to spray weeds in your yard) filled with oil to the fitting where your oil pressure line is connected. It's up near the top of your engine. Just pump up the pressure in the sprayer and let it pump oil in through the upper galleries of the camshaft on down through the engine from there - kind of in reverse of normal flow. When I've done that, I've gotten oil pressure indications (after reconnecting the OP line) instantly when I cranked the engine.

Oil pressure

I was able, with top spark plugs out, to turn it fast enough by hand to see oil pressure.
Bill

The oil cooler outlet fitting, in the center of the accessory housing, goes directly into the oil pump outlet. If you squirt some oil into that fitting while turning the engine backwards you should prime the pump. Then crank in direction of rotation. If you don't get oil out of that fitting then you definitely have a issue with the pump or its inlet plumbing.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

The oil cooler outlet fitting, in the center of the accessory housing, goes directly into the oil pump outlet. If you squirt some oil into that fitting while turning the engine backwards you should prime the pump. Then crank in direction of rotation. If you don't get oil out of that fitting then you definitely have a issue with the pump or its inlet plumbing.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

2-minute fix and now I've got oil pressure! Thanks Mahlon!