Don Jones

Well Known Member
I found this O-320 for the 9 that I managed to aquire basically for nothing. I pulled a few cylinders and inspected it. The cam is good, but has a little corrosion in the cylinders from storage. All in all it looks good. If the case is good it will be a builder for me. I seriously don't think the crank will pass SB505, but I want a 340 stroker anyway. I am a long way from needing it, but the price was right:D
engine.jpg

Don,

It looks like you have done good with that engine core.

When you pull it apart, think about replacing the oil screen with an angled filter adapter. Also, you will want to put a mechanical fuel pump on there, if you don't already have one.

If you don't have the fuel pump, you may have to change the accessory case, replace one cam gear, and add a push rod. Not really a big deal.

The details of how to change those two items are described on the engine page of my web site.

It will need...

.....the accessory case changed. No big deal. I will definately be adding an oil filter. Is anyone using a remote oil filter?

If you want low compression...

...for possible future auto fuel use, then the SB 505 does not apply.

It is only for the 160 HP versions of the O-320.

...for possible future auto fuel use, then the SB 505 does not apply.

It is only for the 160 HP versions of the O-320.

I realize the AD only applies to 160 hp, but the pitting in the crank still causes me concern and I can't imagine that a 160 would break a crank where a 150 would not. It's only 10 lousy hp! I talked to Rick Romans and was told good luck getting someone to certify it with the 150 hp only exemption. Even though we can get away with almost anything in experimentals, should we???:confused: I for one think not! As Stein would say, my 2 cents.