Bob'sRV6A

Well Known Member
For my RV6A, I was wondering what basic approach was better:
Both 10" SV's on the left

doubleteninchonleft.jpg

or placing the radio stack in the middle?

doubleteninchleftandright.jpg

Thanks,
Bob

Plan B

First of all you user name is surprising since my name is Bob and I built and own an RV-6A - there can't be a lot of us in the world population. After getting over that and looking at your illustrations I would definitely want my stack in the middle within easy reach and to provide separation between two similar systems.

Bob Axsom

Let another Bob chime in....

I agree with Bob, but for different reasons. I don't recall the exact specs, but the installation of the GNS-430 requires that it needs to be within 13-14" of the pilot's centerline or remote annunciators are required if you fly ifr.

And like Bob said, you'll want your radios in the middle. Even though the RV-6 isn't all that wide, I think in the center is a better choice.

bob

Last edited:
Don't know if your building a slider or tip up...?? But if a slider, and the radios are of a deep dimension.. the center support for the roll over bar and center support rib will be in the way.. My radio stack had to penetrate the sub panel.. At the very least, mounted lower, might clear...
Sheldon

Don't know if your building a slider or tip up...?? But if a slider, and the radios are of a deep dimension.. the center support for the roll over bar and center support rib will be in the way.. My radio stack had to penetrate the sub panel.. At the very least, mounted lower, might clear...
Sheldon

If it's a tip-up, the first option is going to have interference with the formers behind the panel. The second option seems like it would most easily accomodate a tip-up structure.

Hi Bob, I agree with Bob and Bob. :D

My panel is almost exactly like your second one. I'm using 2 MGL EFIS's and have them separated by the radio stack in the middle. Works great that way.

Thanks everyone. I was planning on the center stack until I saw another RV with the stack on the right and thought someone might have had a better idea. I will use the center stack for sure.
This was my first attempt at inserting a photo and was very easy using photobucket. I did forget to resize to 800pixels wide and I just checked, the original insert was 1024x377. This one is 800x377:
doubleteninchleftandright.jpg

I just checked the "preview post" and the photo seems to be the same size? Is it ok to post images this large?

First of all you user name is surprising since my name is Bob and I built and own an RV-6A - there can't be a lot of us in the world population. Bob Axsom

Let's see.............. BOB, the most popular name in school. RV6-6A, The most popular kit airplane in the world. There just might be more Bob's out there.....:eek:

If it's a tip-up, the first option is going to have interference with the formers behind the panel. The second option seems like it would most easily accomodate a tip-up structure.

Not to worry, you can always move those ribs. Check my web site for one solution and search the forum for others.

I vote with the Bob's, put the radios in the middle.

Also think about the order of your radio stack. You will not change the transponder as frequently as the radios. The typical installation is to put the audio panel on top, followed by the radios.

In your case, I would put the 430 on top, followed by the radio, then the audio panel, and finally the transponder. Just a different way to go. (BTW, most audio panels are on top of the stack and this may because they also held the marker lights.)

Last edited:
A related question if I may.
In a two screen system in a side by side aircraft, I have seen the two screens placed side by side horizontally in front of the pilot position, one above the other in the pilot position (both of these configurations with the radio stack immediately to the right) and one to each side of the radio stack so that pilot and passenger each have a screen in front of them.
Grateful if anyone with actual flying experience with any of these configurations could comment on how happy they are with it.
With 10" screens (are these perhaps overkill?) it would seem one is almost forced into a screen on each side, since there is no room for vertical positioning, and side by side in front of the pilot pushes the radio stack quite a bit to the right. With smaller screens (7" approx. depending on vendor), one can use any of the three configurations, but the screens are of course, smaller, so it would seem to matter if they were farther away.
Is there any difficulty seeing or using a screen on the far side of the panel? It would seem to me that a screen on the far side would be out of the pilot's "cone of vision".
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit (and mulling over how best to lay out a 2 screen panel)

I have 2 AFS units with a center stack and now with thought of using approach plates in the efis I wish I had installed them side by side. I would lower the panel 2 inches and move the efis units to the left as far as possible. Just one more point of view to confuse the issue. :) Larry

All instruments used in IFR flight must be within a viewing range that does not cause you to turn your head to see them.

my 'second screen' is a 696...

lots of variation in ideas and mission for panel layout... in the end i am not sure what you really gain with a second skyview screen beyond gross redundancy since individual screen layout is so flexible. two of them use up an awful lot of the limited space... for a second screen i am using a panel mounted 696 that provides enhanced usefulness well beyond general redundancy and retains enough panel room to allow for a glove box.

How about two 7" screens on pilots side with stack slightly offset to right?
RV6twoSV7.jpg

My panel has two EFIS screens and after 500+hrs I wish they were both on the same side of the cockpit.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae260/gvouga/IMG_3269.jpg

During flight it is difficult to see what is on the copilot side. I generally will have a moving map or aproach plate on the second screen and need to lean over to read it. Certainly less than ideal and almost worthless in any type of turbulence. I wish I had gone with two smaller screens directly in front of the pilot. This would have also left room for the map box!

Greg
RV-7A

I mounted two of them in my 7 one above the other and put the radio stack in the centre. I extended the panel about 11/2 inches lower.

It looks like you still have quite a bit of room between the radio stack and EFIS displays. What if the EFIS displays were right next to the radio stack? It would alleviate the problem of viewing copilot display at an angle a bit. Then all other round gauges, autopilot AOA, etc. could be located further outward.

I have been thinking about the dual big display layout issue and have gone back and forth but am leaning to the center stack. In this way, to minimize the eye scan distance, most used instruments are all in the center of the panel.

My panel has two EFIS screens and after 500+hrs I wish they were both on the same side of the cockpit.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/IMG_3269.jpg

Great information and comments. Thanks. What do you think of this arrangement. It combines a ten inch and a seven inch SV plus the 430
on the pilots side and only offsets the rest of the stack a little. Plus it leaves lots of room for the glovebox.
7and10inchonleft.jpg

Great information and comments. Thanks. What do you think of this arrangement. It combines a ten inch and a seven inch SV plus the 430
on the pilots side and only offsets the rest of the stack a little. Plus it leaves lots of room for the glovebox.

Bob, it really depends on your mission, which you haven't shared. VFR it is ok. If you are planning for IFR, you want to minimize head movement, specifically up and down.

It's going to be highly subjective and the only opinion that counts is yours.

If you are going to put two screens in front of you, in my opinion, I would go with two 7" screens. Then I would put another vendor's EFIS on the right assuming you want ifr redundacy.

I am of the belief that two different size screens will create more confusion in an emergency situation. But like I mentioned, it's just my opinion and my opinion doesn't count in your aircraft.

bob