Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Hi all

Getting ready to replace the panel in the -8 and I need some guidance. This aircraft has three individual position indicators on the right sub panel (flaps, roll and pitch). These are the little LED bar graph units (RC Allen?). The airplane is also equipped with a pair of GRT Horizon (series 1) displays and even though they can apparently display these three position indicators, the prior owner did not enable that function. Since I'm starting over with new blank panels, I'd like to ditch the discrete indicators, enable the EFIS, and grab that sub panel real estate for other uses (the indicators rarely work right anyway).

So why did he stick with the discrete units, and is it hard to enable the EFIS?

Thanks

Mike

I can't answer why the builder did what he did.....

Wiring direct to the EFIS isn't a big deal. GRT has the docs online or give Carlos a call. Pretty straight forward.

bob

It's possible that the trim display functions weren't yet available on the GRT when he built the panel. I was a very early GRT adopter, and at that time, it wasn't a workign option, so I put in discrete indicators. If I was starting a new panel, I'd consider getting rid of the discrete indicators if I was having trouble fitting them in - it is nice to have some functions separate from the EFIS, "just in case". Then again, you can trim before a flight by looking at the surfaces too - our -6 doesn't have any trim indicators in the cockpit, and works just fine.

Paul

...Then again, you can trim before a flight by looking at the surfaces too...Paul

Well, removing them entirely was "Plan A" before I found they are available on the EFIS. I don't use them much myself, but as long as ther is room for them in the EFIS...

I have GRT's but totally forgot that did not need the Ray Allen LED when I had my panel cut. Since I could not figure another use for the square hole, I went ahead and put in the LED.

The benefit of the LED indicator is that it makes it very easy to make a quick check that the trim circut is working and that it's centered - without having to turn on the GRT's. So I'm glad I have it.

Paul is correct that the early WS GRT units did not have the software capability to display the trims and flaps. The current software does.

Not enough aux functions

Maybe different with two displays but, in my case with one grt display, I ran out of aux functions:

Aux 1 = Manifold pressure
Aux 2 = Left fuel qty
Aux 3 = Right fuel qty
Aux 4 = Amps
Aux 5 = Fuel Flow
Aux 6 = Not Used

Since I didn't have two vacant Aux inputs I used the led segment indicators.
And, I never look at them.

Hmmm...

This airplane has all the functions you have. I didn't realize these were aux functions; I thought they would be dedicated. Will have to read more I guess.

Trim display

Same dilema here.
Just trying to decide wether to use dedicated trim displays or the function in the MVP.
If the trim function can be displayed on the primary page of the EFIS I would use it .
If you have to toggle to another page to see trim position I would rather see the dedicated displays.

If you have a GRT Horizon, then you can use its analog inputs for this functionality (you have 8 of these inputs on each screen). Between it and EIS' Aux inputs, I'm hard pressed to believe you ran out of ports..

The above does not apply to GRT Sport which has no analog inputs (and EIS inputs must be used as only option).

Last edited:
Yes, these are the Horizon displays. I don't think there are any analog ports in use right now, so I expect I have some growth potential.