AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I live in Chile so things are different here but maybe you could help me with FAA regulation so I could explain thing to DGAC (Chilean FAA)

They said if I use a portable oxygen system in my plane but I tight the bottle to the plane by any way for example Velcro strap, that is a modification and I have to call them, make an study and bla bla bla. They also said it is not legal to install a portable GPS on the joke and worst if you connect to the electrical system by cigarret socket. They said I am not legally able to charge my cell phone on the plane.

Of course I know how are they going to know but:confused:

What regulation said on the USA

Last edited:
We are not prohibited..

...from using a portable GPS with a cigarette lighter plug and we can also charge our cellphones, laptops, iPads etc.

We can mount our portable GPS on the dash, on the yoke...anywhere that doesn't interfere with the controls and we don't need permission to do so.

I don't believe that it is prohibited to velcro an oxygen bottle in an experimental airplane...not sure about certified airplanes.

I have a Garmin 496 in my RV-10 and in my certified Air Tractor.

I can help you get a green card:D:D

Best,

Like Pierre said, it's less restrictive in the US. But still, FAA is the same kind of headache, maybe just a little bit less.

Gotta love the logic of regulatory bureaucracies... If your O2 cylinder is just rattling around free in your baggage compartment like a wrecking ball, then it's ok. If you diligently secure it to the airframe, now you must be closely scrutinized, fill out paperwork, get inspected, hope for approval, and undoubtedly pay a fee. :(

But bottom line, be safe, and if they don't know about it, it's legal. ;)

Seems like there is probably a "special" processing fee you could pay to expedite your approvals?