Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I have started to get those nasty, annoying "Pop up's: whenever I look at something in a link to "Image shack". They seem to be "Piggy backed" onto the photos themselves.

I run two seperate programs to block this ****, but it seems that the ests have found a new way of invading my life. Even though I get rid of them every time I look at an "Image shack" photo, they still come back.

Anyone else having this problem???

Anyone else been able to block this junk??

I am running "spy Bot", and "spyware X-terminator"

Doug, any input????

Mike

Agree on Defender...been using it for awhile.

When I use Imageshack I just link to the one picture...not using the thumbnail option lately. No popups.

b,
d

I had Firefox-------really liked it, but it quit for some unknown reason.

I just figured out that I posted this on the -10 forum----oops. Should have gone on the general discussion-------------anyone know how to move it??

Mike

Firefox is the way to go - IE is rubbish ;) . IE is not built for the users, it's built for Microsoft.

Unfortunately, a few sites have delayed pop ups which are even able to get past firefox. Therefore I use Firefox + the free adblock extension (see Tools/Extensions). I leave ads on for all sites, until they try to burn me with a pop up. Then I go to the adblock menu item and block all ads from that site and the ad server that served em to me.

Thanks

Doug, Thanks for moving my post.

Any idea on the pop up thing?? It just started happening 2 or 3 days ago, previously they have never been a problem.

Mike

Since installing Windows Defender (free from MS) about 9 or 10 months ago (was originally called Microsoft Anti Spyware), haven't had a single pop up.

DeltaRomeo said:
Agree on Defender...been using it for awhile.

When I use Imageshack I just link to the one picture...not using the thumbnail option lately. No popups.

b,
d

O.K., so how do I do that???

Mike

Mike S said:
O.K., so how do I do that???

Mike
Good question....

First, when you upload the image to Imageshack (or equivalent) look for the 'Direct link to image' (pic below)...

1oo7.jpg

Then, (when in the forums and where you want the pic) click on the little yellow box with the mountain and sun in it (pic below)...

2hr4.jpg

Paste the URL in the box that pops up and click 'OK'. You're done.....I used the techique in this reply.

BTW, it's important to not upload pics that are TOO large (say wider than 900 pixels wide). It really messes with people with smaller monitors.

Best always,
dr

Yea, I use firefox and get the popups on the imageshack pix. I can't stand using that interface for pic storage. Photobucket all the way!!

Doug, as always, thanks for your reply.

When I asked "so how do I do that", I was refering to looking at an image someone else has posted, not how to put an image up.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have been clearer, I thought your post war refering to viewing, not posting.

So, is there a way to look at a photo posted as a "thumbnail" without getting the garbage along with it??

The recent posting from Advanced Flight Systems about the new panel in his -4 is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

Thanks again, Mike

rvwannabe said:
Yea, I use firefox and get the popups on the imageshack pix. I can't stand using that interface for pic storage. Photobucket all the way!!

Hey neighbor,---are you using Comcast for your internet??? I wonder if they are the problem??

Mike