Stalldog

Well Known Member
I'm having trouble determining which pop rivet to use for which application. Not those called out on the plans, but for areas where I might want to add pop rivets for whatever reason. I'm looking for something other than the dimensional info we already have.

Is there something out there that aids in how to select the right pop rivet for the right application?

Blind fasteners

Jim,
When it comes to blind fasteners, there is no good quick and dirty way (chart) that I know of to pick the right substitute fastener but I am not an engineer.

There is a wide variety of fasteners available all the way from simple non-aircraft "Pop" rivets to CherryMax locking fasteners and even more esoteric ones.

Couple of sources:
Jeppesen's "Aircraft Sheet Metal" book - has a whole chapter on the different styles of fasteners and uses.

Aircraft Spruce's Cherry Commercial Rivet selection pages. Has had sort of a disjointed layout in the past but if you study it and the various designations, it starts to make sense. Aircraft blind rivets have a rivet metal and a mandrel or shaft metal. They also have a way of holding the shaft in place when it is set, and a head shape. This equates to their shear strength.

The process of picking the right rivet is based on knowing what the shear strength of the sheet metals you are joining and then selecting an appropriate strength rivet just like when using solid rivets.

If the rivet is not strong enough it will fail too easily. If it is too strong, the sheet metal will tear around it under maximum loads.

A third source of rivet education is to get or borrow one of the A&P books on aircraft structures. Jeppesen makes a set. Dale Crane is another one. I think the FAA has one as well. You can find used copies on Amazon from time to time. They provide the basics for A&P students.

Dave A.
6A build

Thanks, Dave, good info with references to check out. I am an mechanical engineer, but typically our connections are either welded or bolted -- never did anything with pop rivets, and never came across any info on the subject. I've seen dimensional info on the various styles of pop rivets, but never any guidelines on what to use where. I'll do further research using your references. Thanks again.