Brambo

Well Known Member
I haven't had to drill out a pop rivet yet, but Van's cautions that it can be difficult. If I have to drill one out are ther any tips/techniques I should know about before I start?

Brambo said:
I haven't had to drill out a pop rivet yet, but Van's cautions that it can be difficult. If I have to drill one out are ther any tips/techniques I should know about before I start?

Buy the Avery pop rivet removal tool :)

When I needed to drill out a #30 pop rivet, I used a #40 bit to drill out the nail, then I used a #30 bit until the top broke off. It was easy, and I didn't see any distortion in the hole afterwards.

Mike Bullock
RV-7, Wings.
http://rvplane.com

Pulled rivets are not normally difficult to drill out. Secret is to slightly rock the drill back and forth at the beginning so the rivet doesn't try to spin.
Mel...DAR

bullojm1 said:
When I needed to drill out a #30 pop rivet, I used a #40 bit to drill out the nail, then I used a #30 bit until the top broke off. It was easy, and I didn't see any distortion in the hole afterwards.
Instead of trying to drill out the nail, try using one of the popped off pieces of nail and a hammer to tap out the piece still in the rivet. Then you've got a clear hole right down the center that will guide your drill.

PJ