skidmk

Well Known Member
HI,, trying to install the most aft nutplate, It will accept the aft most AN3 bolt through the nylon flap mech.

I cannot seem to squeeze, hand squeeze, or even buck the rivets on the QB,, just no room... any ideas?

Would pop rivets do on that nutplate?

M

pop rivets for nutplates

Nutplate pop rivets do exist (3/32).

I have a few (not to many). If you need a few I can mail them to you.

thanks a million,,,postage to the great white north would be too much. What I would appreciate though,, is the part number. Quite a few guys here in Ottawa building,, so I could order some up... and keep them for the masses.

cheers

M

There is a second way

I have faced the same issue on several occasions. In my view it's acceptable to drill out the rivet holes in the nutplate to 1/8" and use standard size pop rivets. The issue for me is which is stronger, a thinned edge of steel with a standard pop rivet or a bigger edge of steel with a very puny rivet? In either case, all you are asking the rivet to do is to keep the nutplate from turning when you apply no more than 25 in-lbs(?) of torque.

I invite others to politely flame me for this, but it is a possible way to go.

When faced with a similar problem in weak substrate such as the wingtip under the lens, I used JB Weld epoxy of the type that is like stiff putty and mixed in slices cut from a roll. It sticks and hardens very well. That was for holding #6 or #8 machine screws, not bolts, though. The JBW holds the nutplate, not the screw itself. Be sure to put release stuff on the screw and put it in place until the epoxy hardens. BTW, I used something like that for the two thin screws that hold the strobe/position light to the aft end of the rudder bottom so the heads are on the outside.

Cherry makes a nut plate rivet. Their Cherry part number is CR9116 and the Mil Spec Number is MS20605. Do a Web search on those or see the Cherry (Textron Fastening Systems, Aerospace Products) web site. Hope this helps -- Les

I've used more than one MSP-32/MD319BS, MSC-32/MK319BS in that situation. They are both 3/32 flush rivets.

Buy them here....

These guys have them... minimum order seems to be 50 pcs., but at $10 that should do for quite a few builders.

long link

If the long link doesn't work... home page is here...
http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/default.asp

Select CCR244 in the menu box...

It seems the CR244 version would be best, since it has the same head dimensions as a NAS1097 Ooops rivet and can countersink into 0.025 sheet.

Data sheet here....

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/rivetsnutplate.pdf

I think I'll get some too... :)

gil in Tucson

Last edited: