SmittysRV

Well Known Member
Time to cut the panel. I got some typing paper and cut out templates of all the components that I wanted in my panel. I laid the paper templates out and determined the center most component, which will be the Garmin 696 Air Gizmo Panel Dock. I marked where the mount goes on one corner on the panel with a fine point sharpie. Then I put some painters tape on the panel to protect the surface from the jigsaw I used. I could see the sharpie mark through the tape and drew the lines for the cutout onto the tape. Then I carefully cut the panel right up next to the marks I made without cutting into the marks.

20110101_08.jpg

I got my back-riveting steel plate and a scrap piece of aluminum angle and clamped the steel plate to the panel, right on top of the sharpie line. Then I started filing away at the edges on the panel cutout until it was even with the edge of the steel plate. Since the aluminum is softer than the steel, I could file right up to the edge of the steel without messing up the steel.

20110101_09.jpg

I rounded the inside corners with a small round file that I got from Lowes and cleaned up the edges with some fine grit sandpaper.

20110101_10.jpg

Here's the test fit of the AirGizmo Panel Dock.

20110101_11.jpg

NICE work, Smitty! I really like your method. I'll be copying it for sure when I do mine.

I have used my Jig saw with metal cutting blade after using a #40 drill bit for the corners. I get good results with the Bosch saw and T118A3 blade. Then I true up and smooth with Vixen file. Must put painters tape on part you are cutting to prevent scrathing the surface. Sometimes I can true up the edges with a router but takes more time.

More "Poor Man" Stuff:

Time to cut the panel for the Dynon EFIS 100 mount tray. This is a well-built mount tray, but when I was laying it out on the panel next the GPS mounting brackets, it looked a little off to me. So I pulled out my trusty old framing square and sure enough, It was off just a smidgen. Since this tray has little flex to it, it shouldn't be a problem to correct it's alignment on the panel.

20110109_01.jpg

I knew that the Gizmo GPS bracket was already at a 90 degree angle from the bottom of panel, so I butted the EFIS mounting tray right up next to it. Then, after marking where the screw holes will go, I drilled the holes into the mount tray flange and into the panel from the back of the panel, using a long #40 drill bit. Then I put clecos in on the front of the panel to hold the mounting tray in place. These #40 holes will get drilled out later to 7/64" for the 4-40 screws I will use.

20110109_02.jpg

Here's where I corrected the squareness of EFIS tray. Earlier, I had drawn a horizontal line with my sharpie on the back of the panel by putting my framing square next to the vertical GPS side mount. I used this line to pull the mount tray down into position to make it square with it's self, and then drilled the holes into the tray and panel with the same #40 drill bit. Then I clecoed everything together.

20110109_03.jpg

Marking the panel for the cut. While the tray was clecoed into place, I used my fine line sharpie and traced the inside edges of the tray mount onto the back of the panel. AND..., what do you know... the lines I drew matched the dimensions in the instructions for the cutout exactly!

20110109_04.jpg

Now for the messy part. The EFIS is a little different from the Gizmo GPS mount, in that the edges of the cutout on the panel show around the edges of the Gizmo mount. Not so on the EFIS. The front of the EFIS has a picture frame that covers the cutout on the panel. So, If I'm a little messy with the cutout, it don't matter, ya'll. So I drilled Unibit holes in each corner of the panel cutout area and started cutting away with my jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. After I made the cut, I cleaned it up a little with a file and sanded the edges.

20110109_05.jpg

I decided to put the panel back on the RV(temporarily) and mount the EFIS into it's tray(temporarily) with a few screws. Ya' know, kind of like a kid at Christmas with a new toy. How many of us rode our new bikes on the sidewalk in our pajamas because we just couldn't wait any longer? I'm really happy with this install. Now I'm waiting for my 2 1/4 inch altimeter to arrive from Van's and I will cut the holes for my airspeed indicator and altimeter.

20110109_06.jpg

PS: Sometimes it do snow in Texas. My kiddo likes it...

20110109_08.jpg

Last edited:
cutting panel

Hi, using same method with the Bosh jig saw. I found if you use a fine point scribe instead of the marker it's a much finer line to cut to and very exact. Again clean cut with file and buff out with small 3m wheel in a die grinder. I often mark the face of alum with a black sharpie as well for general layout. Lacquer thiner removes the marker if need be. #40 bit in the corners as well.