Craig23

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on my filtered air box and saw that the plans say to use polyester resin for any of the glass work. I have been using epoxy on every other fiberglass parts so far, so I'm wondering if that will work on the FAB or if I have to use polyester.

Any thoughts?

Epoxy

Hey Craig,

Use epoxy. Clean thoroughly before sanding anything. Scuff with 100 grit before doing any layups.

Epoxy sticks best to epoxy. Epoxy sticks well to polyester. Polyester sticks well to polyester. Polyester does not sticks as well to epoxy as epoxy sticks to polyester. You have to rough up "well" the part you are sticking to with either. I hope this helps

The part is manufactured with fire retardant polyester resin, which is the reason you are told to continue using polyester resin.

But Scott....

The part is manufactured with fire retardant polyester resin, which is the reason you are told to continue using polyester resin.

...most of us would use non fire retardant polyester - the normal boat stuff....

So what is the advantage of non fire retardant polyester over epoxy?

Or are we all using the wrong material?

It appears that Aircraft Spruce doesn't even offer fire retardant polyester resin --

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/resin.html

...most of us would use non fire retardant polyester - the normal boat stuff....

That's good because that is what the instructions recommend.

I wasn't meaning to say that builders should get Fire Retardant resin. I was mentioning that is what they are manufactured with, so for good adhesion properties, polyester resin was recommended. Any glass work that builders generally do on the FAB is a small percentage compared to the entire part, so not using FR resin should not be considered an issue. Besides, anyone that chooses to use epoxy is not using a fire retardant resin either