During a routine oil change which of the following do you comply with?

• Only cut filter open and inspect sump screen

Votes: 42 46.2%
  • Only use Spectrometric oil analysis program (SOAP)

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Use both methods

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • Only change oil, no further inspections

Votes: 8 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

curtis

Well Known Member
During a routine oil change which of the following do you comply with?

1. Only cut filter open and inspect sump screen
2. Only use Spectrometric oil analysis program (SOAP)
3. Use both methods
4. Only change oil, no further inspections

I cut the filter, but usually only inspect the sump screen every 2nd oil change (i.e. at annual since I generally only fly enough for two oil changes per year anymore)

no filter, pull top dome oil screen

I also only do the suction screen at 25 hours or two years ( same thing).
I really have to wonder who designed the screen, housing etc.
Le Marquis deSade?

i only do the suction screen a couple times a year. perhaps every 100 hours. I tihnk I am dropping oil analysis. The last report showed elevated iron but by then the cam and 3 lifters were spalled. 150$ a year for the fire dept to call and let you know your house is fully engulfed. pass.

Oil analysis a year ago showed everything normal, as in unchanged for 9 years. But, oil filter inspection showed lots of $$ needed. The engine absolutely would have shut itself down at some point (crankshaft gear chewing itself away). I haven't decided if I'll resume the oil analyses or not.

I recommend oil changes every 25 hrs and oil/filter at 50 hrs. Sump screens normally at annual unless something is found in the filter.

Cutting open the filter is a messy but absolutely necessary job, it will give you a heads up on an impeding failure so you MUST do it!

I'm not a big fan of oil analysis, filter inpections are very effective.