What "switchology" do you prefer for Ldg/Taxi/Recognition Wig Wag?

• Rotary switch - Same as option 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rotary + toggle switch - Same as option 2

• One rotary + toggle - Same as option 2 + two more flash patterns

• Total voters

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I am designing a controller to do some fancy light switching.
Which one do you like best of the five options. Option (1) is
less capable. Option 5 is deluxe and a Christmas tree (I can
program anything I want). 6th option is no lights at all or no
flashing "recognition lights", just ON and OFF. The problem
with rotary selectors, when they go over 2 poles and 4 throw,
either more poles or throws they get bigger and expensive.
The switching is all solid state so the mechanical switches
can be light duty.

Note one option I did not include is a PUSH BUTTON to cycle
through the different "patterns", Left/Right/Both or Flash fast/slow.
It could be like option 5 (bottom one), but instead of a rotary
switch just a momentary push button, call it option 7.

switchchoices.jpg

Last edited:
Option 1, with a twist

My plan is basically option (1), but with one slight difference: the middle position is FLASH, and the top position is BOTH. My reasoning for that positioning is that if for whatever reason I need to turn the lights on or off in a hurry, I can just flick the switch all the way up or down, respectively, which is natural and quick. Finding the middle position in a 3 position switch takes a little more care, and I can think of no scenario where I'd need to switch to "flash" in a hurry, so flash in the middle position it is.

I don't see much usefulness in the additional modes offered by by options (2) and up, and so my inclination would be to keep it simple from a user perspective and stick with option 1.

My $0.02.

#1 seems effective and simple. ie. A good choice. :) Roee has a good point.

I've penciled in a lot of plans for interesting complex things, and then forced myself to look at again weeks later, and simplify...and usually I can keep the same utility or better. Granted my idea of simple when it comes to electronics may include custom programmed microcontrollers -- but the point is applicable even then. (ie. I think the Vertical Power gear adds simplicity...)

Last edited:
#1 seems the best. Whether off should be in the middle I do not know. It may also lend itself to a rocker switch option instead of a toggle switch.

Last edited:
It would be good to have separate landing and taxi lights, assuming that they are aimed in different directions.

Dave

Option 1, slightly different twist

I voted option 1, but I would look for center off, up for flying condition, which is flash, and down for landing conditions, landing lights.

George, glad to see you getting active here again.

Option 2

I've done option 2. The vast majority of the time I have landing and taxi lights on wig way (flash) and based on feedback it definitely makes me more visible during the day. I wanted the ability to have either one on steady for night landing and night taxiing.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 110hrs

Last edited:
Option #1 as nothing beats simplicity, specially for take off/landing when your focus is needed most.

VP-X

On my new 7, I am equipping with the AVEO 6 in 1 light system, tip mounted. They are set up with both taxi and landing lights. Since they are LED there is really no reason to not have both on when they are used. Light is light and you can't have too much either in the air or on the ground.

So, I'll have one switch. ON and OFF. The VP-X will allow me to program the light operation. I will program for Wig Wag above 85 knots, (for cruise flight) solid below 85 knots. The speed may change after I get some time with them.

Simple, sweet and effective. The VP-X provides many features that save weight and complexity.

I'd recommend the wig-wag for speeds about 10% faster than stall. 85 seems a bit high, and you'd want them blinking especially while operating in the pattern.

Dave

Thanks for the reality check... I agree, keep it simple. Having Left/Right control
would be nice, if the lights are aimed for taxi & landing respectively. I'm making
this thing so it will be flexible.

I am making a light control module (with two channels out, left/right). The control
will be a few pins that just need to be grounded (milliamps) to get different patterns.
There will be 8 possibilities. You can wire the module switching from simple to complex,
to get more functions. You don't have to use all the functions.

-It will be compact, light Wt.
-Low amp rated switch will work.
-Warm up timer for HID lights, before flashing them.
-Multi flash rates or patterns based on how you wire it.**
-Single or multi switch wiring to rotary switch for more functions.
-Solid state switching (more reliable and uses less power than relays)
-It will be programmable so user wire it in many ways (options #1 - #6)
-Cost? $40-$50? (if my time is worth $1/hr, making a prototype now)

** I read from periheliondesign that his wig wag is 84 fpm because he
says that is a FAA limit? I'd like to know what Reg that is. Anyone know?
Most police flashers are near 100 to 110 fpm or more. For HID lights you
want it faster than slower to keep them warm. I was thinking of 88 fpm
and may be 100 fpm for fast. I can program anything.

I'm doing this project because there is nothing it like on the market,
in solid state flashers (that is not many $100's). There are dedicated
ones for aircraft that cost big bucks. Periheliondesigns wigwag is nice,
cost $88, but you need three switches for OFF, L, R, Both, Flash.

The police headlight flashers are OK. I have a Whelen SSF 2150, bought
used on iPay. See pic below. Very nice, big aluminum extrusion heatsink
frame and VERY heavy (they potted it into a 4"x3"x2" brick). It does OFF,
STEADY and FLASH (about 105 fpm). The newer versions are the same but
have many more flash patterns..... still flash rates are higher than wanted.

Then there is the mechanical automotive flasher relay. With fancy toggle
switching you can get'er done. The relay is $20 and they last about 300
hours. It still takes two or three multi throw toggles.

I might manufacture it this module. The goal is make it so it can be sold for
$40-$50, light, compact, flexible, basic to 7 light patterns. The user can wire
it from simple (OFF, BOTH, FLASH). If you want more functions you can wire
it for that......

whelenssf2150.jpg

Last edited:
I voted for option 1 but my application uses two switches. One for landing lights and one for WigWag. With WigWag switch ON, the lights flash, but the LL switch has to be OFF. With the LL switch ON, the LLs are ON, whether the WigWag switch is on or not. Works for me.

Make some

For $40-$50 dollars and all I would have to do is add one toggle switch and your module, I'd buy one today. I have 2 lights and 2 switches now and no wig wag.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestwon NC
RV-8A N181SB

None of the above

... don't see the combination that I like. Actually, I'd start with the question of function and then ask technique preferred to 'get there'.

In other words, what exterior a/c lighting (all) is planned, or required for your mission profile? and, what switch configuration do you prefer to achieve that design?

Your poll says, "Landing, Recognition Lights - Poll" but I see the focus of the questions on Landing, Taxi, and flashing/wig-wag --- what happened to Recognition lights?

Aren't the following all components of the lighting system -
Landing (light - singular)
Taxi (llight - singular)
Recognition (Position lights)
Strobes or Anti-collision

In the daytime, one could choose both landing and taxi, with or without wig-wag, with or without strobes. In the air might be different than on the ground, for example, a landing light pointed more 'down' but without taxi light or strobes until clear of the ramp area (courtesy to other pilots). And during a power conservation (eBus) phase, at night, a landing light alone without taxi light would be preferred? Or daylight continuous use of LED strobes would be acceptable.

List the light components in a column, (one per row), and the mode of operation or the phase of flight as additional column headings, then mark the ones that are illogical (eliminate them), and simplify switches to achieve the most logical and preferred combinations.

Polling for the colors preferred for each toggle might be the last question on the survey.

IMHO ---

Last edited:
... don't see the combination that I like. Actually, I'd start with the question of function and then ask technique preferred to 'get there'.

In other words, what exterior a/c lighting (all) is planned, or required for your mission profile? and, what switch configuration do you prefer to achieve that design?

Your poll says, "Landing, Recognition Lights - Poll" but I see the focus of the questions on Landing, Taxi, and flashing/wig-wag --- what happened to Recognition lights?

Aren't the following all components of the lighting system -
Landing (light - singular)
Taxi (llight - singular)
Recognition (Position lights)
Strobes or Anti-collision

In the daytime, one could choose both landing and taxi, with or without wig-wag, with or without strobes. In the air might be different than on the ground, for example, a landing light pointed more 'down' but without taxi light or strobes until clear of the ramp area (courtesy to other pilots). And during a power conservation (eBus) phase, at night, a landing light alone without taxi light would be preferred? Or daylight continuous use of LED strobes would be acceptable.

List the light components in a column, (one per row), and the mode of operation or the phase of flight as additional column headings, then mark the ones that are illogical (eliminate them), and simplify switches to achieve the most logical and preferred combinations.

Polling for the colors preferred for each toggle might be the last question on the survey.

IMHO ---
What? ha ha! So you don't have an opinion? The poll was a big success and I got a meaningful result. Thanks to every one you participated and answered my poll BTW! Everything is implied in the options. You want me to ask one or two lights? Recognition (flashing) or one lights? Different flash patterns? Control over left and right or just both? That is all there in the options 1 thru 6.

It's a light or lights, and they are on or off.... it is that simple.

We have a winner, THE TOGGLE WINS! Option I, one OFF/BOTH/FLASH. Simple, one switch verses three (at the loss of some function). I got a meaningful answer from the poll participants. Most like the one OFF, BOTH, FLASH switch option #1. BTW even if you have one light it would be OFF, ON, FLASH. You can flash one light of course.

The runner-up, the second place winner is option II, three ON-OFF toggles, LEFT, RIGHT, FLASH. To control the left and right independently and flash is the TRICK! It almost inevitably leads to having two switches, one for each LEFT and RIGHT light (or a rotary switch). How do you integrate FLASHING? A third switch. There is something to be said for one switch one function, ON-OFF....

The rotary switch was a loser. There are some things to recommend it. I personally like the idea of setting a function with a rotary switch. For one a Boeing 757/767/747-400 has rotary switches and push buttons all over the overhead! http://www.jsgpanels.com/EAPresentation747-x03_fichiers/image012.jpg

BTW it's irrelevant if there is one or two lights in how my system will work. If you have one light than obviously you don't need very complicated switching and the poll almost does not apply to you. If you have one light and don't want to flash at all then the answer is trivial, ON-OFF switch, which is option 6, no lights or simple lights, no flashing. If you don't connect a second light then the "channel" is not used on my light controller (draws no power unlike a relay, but is still electronically switched). All the switching is the same for one or two lights, only the switch label changes from BOTH to ON. Of course there is no need for Left and Right options, but that is still built into the microcontoller. Work with me here pal.

I should have included the word TAXI with LANDING and RECOGNITION. You could not figure out it was TAXI/LANDING lights? Thanks. What mission are you talking about? The fact it's an RV should be all you need to know, day/night VFR/IFR, acro, x-country. That's not the question, it's a known. If you have an RV with no lights at all or one, On/Off only no flash, then the poll is moot or, option 6. If you have one light you want to not flash, than it is one ON-OFF SPST switch. Work with me! There is nothing more here my friend.

You criticized the question, how the poll works and did not address the question, that no one was confused about.... option 1 thru 6. Which one? Simple as 1 thru 6. I am going to disagree with you. The Poll was a big success! Again thanks for every one who participated in a meaningful way! Cheers.

Last edited:
I knew it needed more ...

Sorry that I forgot to put enough Happy Faces, or other icons. That one with the tongue-in-cheek is so hard to find at midnight.

As my friend Confuscius says, "He who asks the question, wins the debate."

Cheers and keep the pointy end going Thata-way.