kjelle69

I would like to remove the old black paint from my valve covers (O-360).
Then instead of painting them I am thinking of polishing them to get a nice clean look.

Anyone that have a good suggestion about how to make the polished look last for a long time concerning heat and possibly oil stains? :)

My bad, thought they were Aluminium, not a rust stain on the open metal surfaces. After closer look I now see that they are plain steel. Ok, then I guess I just paint strip them and put a new layer of fresh paint on them instead.
Thanks. :)

It's already so fast it makes me scared, so I'll better just stick to an old fashioned paint job :D

polished valve covers

I was going to have my ECI covers chromed but discovered that they were stainless so I had them polished by a commercial polisher. Check to see if they are stainless.

becareful chrome plating

Back in my hot rodding days, chrome plating was looked down upon because of its extra heat retention capabilities. Polished was ALWAYS prefered. Just another thing to consider:)

A well known phenomenon. Chrome makes anything go faster. Empirical data, I installed a chrome pitot tube and picked up 5 knots. It must be true.

Hmmm, that goes counter to what I was told as a young "car guy". The quotes were "If is doesn't go, chrome it" and "Shine is fine, but it takes go to get to the show" :rolleyes:

I'm playing it down the middle, a chrome pitot tube and painted rocker covers :D

John Clark ATP, CFI
Aviator & Gearhead
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I?m trying to build a fast engine so i can keep upp with Kjelle when my 8 is done, i guess he got scared when i showed him my BLING BLING ;)

388637_10150418164795415_629405414_8680738_1552472057_n.jpg

/Dennis