AntiGravity

Well Known Member
I seem to recall reading a post saying that the aluminium used in the Grove gear legs was of a type more susceptible to corrosion than 'normal'. Having received my beautiful legs I think it would be a real shame to paint them. I wondering about having them polished at the local metal polishers where I got parts for my motorcycles done, and then perhaps a couple of coats of clear lacquer to protect them and keep them looking nice?
Anyone have any comments? Yes? No? Be careful of...? etc, etc, etc.
Thanks,

AntiGravity said:
I seem to recall reading a post saying that the aluminium used in the Grove gear legs was of a type more susceptible to corrosion than 'normal'. .....Anyone have any comments? Yes? No? Be careful of...? etc, etc, etc.Thanks,
Jeff,

Do a Google search. That high strength comes at a price. Most data sheets I've reviewed seem to indicate that because of the many metals including magnesium, copper, and zinc in 7075 aluminum, the alloy is more susceptable to corrosion. That doesn't necessarily mean it will corrode if properly maintained and that includes polishing. Just as a test, I started to polish a gear leg using Nuvite Grade C. Within a very short time it became obvious that the Nuvite will quickly remove the fine file marks from the manufacturing process and the aluminum has the capacity to take on a high luster. Since I had no real way of securing the airfoil shaped gear so that I could continue to polish, I decided to wait until the gear legs are permanently mounted when I can then more aggressively apply force on the buffing tools. I will Akzo prime those areas of the gear that will be in contact with other parts of the airframe, hidden from view. Between the primer and the polishing, I personally don't consider corrosion to be much of a concern.

Chrome Paint

Buy a quart of the chrome paint that looks like polished, coat with epoxy primer prior to painting and you have the same effect with less maintenance.

Chrome paint

Hard Knox said:
Buy a quart of the chrome paint that looks like polished, coat with epoxy primer prior to painting and you have the same effect with less maintenance.
Oooh, good idea. I think I saw a post a while ago about these kind of paints. I must search it out. Thanks for that reminder.

AntiGravity said:
I seem to recall reading a post saying that the aluminium used in the Grove gear legs was of a type more susceptible to corrosion than 'normal'. Having received my beautiful legs I think it would be a real shame to paint them. I wondering about having them polished at the local metal polishers where I got parts for my motorcycles done, and then perhaps a couple of coats of clear lacquer to protect them and keep them looking nice?
Anyone have any comments? Yes? No? Be careful of...? etc, etc, etc.
Thanks,
Yes comment: Go do it. Buff them shiny and finish with aluminum wool. Paint them with clear stuff and strip it and recoat every few years. I'm going to be priming inside with varnish mixed with enamel hardener, and rivet wet. It will look sort of like your legs, I mean gear legs.

We had a Tailwind fly into our EAA meeting this month with custom made, polished grove gear. They sure looked beautiful - Never thought to ask how he finished them...