Auburntsts

Well Known Member
I've got the Scratch Off Optica 4 scratch removal kit but I need some more of a couple of the compounds that came with the kit. Anybody know of a source to buy just the compounds? The usual suspects only seem to sell whole kits and not the individual components.

I do things the long way, and use 600-800-1000-1500-2000-3000 trizac before using a polish. All these are wet-or-dry and available at the body shop supply store, some at autoparts stores too. Always with water, and a light reflecting on the surface. Each stage rotates the sanding direction 90 deg and sand until all the previous lines are gone. The parts come out crystal clear and glossy. Works great on watch crystals (non glass) too. Tried on the wing tip lenses that are soft and took out a bad scratch. Be selective on what grit to use initially based on the scratch to be removed. Always use a foam backer to avoid finger pressure lines.

The papers can be used many times and don't degrade very fast. Trizac is the most expensive. They also make a Trizac 5000, but have not found the need.

Not as manly as power tools, but the results are like new.

I do things the long way, and use 600-800-1000-1500-2000-3000 trizac before using a polish. All these are wet-or-dry and available at the body shop supply store, some at autoparts stores too. Always with water, and a light reflecting on the surface. Each stage rotates the sanding direction 90 deg and sand until all the previous lines are gone. The parts come out crystal clear and glossy. Works great on watch crystals (non glass) too. Tried on the wing tip lenses that are soft and took out a bad scratch. Be selective on what grit to use initially based on the scratch to be removed. Always use a foam backer to avoid finger pressure lines.

The papers can be used many times and don't degrade very fast. Trizac is the most expensive. They also make a Trizac 5000, but have not found the need.

Not as manly as power tools, but the results are like new.

Thanks but not what I was looking for as I'm not interested in alternate scratch removal methods. I have a micromesh kit which is a similar sanding process to what you mentioned but out to a finer grit, but I like the scratch off kit better and have gotten excellent results from it - I just need more compound and don't want to buy a whole new kit.

Is it true that a single 6" Trizac disc costs $9.50?

Don't remember, I used the rectangular. Likely that is close - it just seemed high compared to the sheets, but it has lasted for many polish jobs. It seems to hold up better than the sheets, so maybe in the long run it is may be cost effective. The only alternative was liquids that I could find.