pilotyoung

Well Known Member
I have both an RV-12 with Dynon avionics and a Onex with Mgl avionics. I just ordered new glasses because of a new prescription. I wanted to order sun glasses but all they had were polarized. I have always heard that you can not see the screens of an EFIS with polarized sun glasses. I suspect there are some eye doctors on this forum or some other scientists and I am wanting to know if that is true. If so why is it? And also if so, can you read the screens in new cars with polarized sun glasses.

I don't want to order sun glasses and then not be able to see the screens in my airplanes.

The answer is you “maybe” able to read them depending which direction they are polarised. Best not to have polarised for reading screens to be sure of being able to read them without tilting your head. I have polarised for walking / outdoors and non-polarised for flying anything with screens, etc.

It’s a real shame, as the contrast and clarity from a polarised lens is amazing.

I strictly buy and use non-polarized glass lens sunglasses. In addition to the electronic displays I was told that polarization can affect depth perception. I don't know if it has enough affect to matter on landing. But that's good enough for me.

I also prefer glass because the polycarbonate lenes, while light and strong, scratch super easy. I am pretty rough on sunglasses despite trying my best. Tempered glass takes a lot of abuse and resists scratches. Plastic lenses are all scratched up within days. Polycarbonate is touted as bulletproof and it can be for low calibers because it is so soft and ductile it stretches absorbing the bullet's energy. So bulletproof does not equate to scratch proof.

My current favorite brand for non-polarized glass lens sunglasses is Method 7 Altitude Sky 9 model. They have German tempered glass. I think Ray Ban has a few non-polarized glass lens models as does Randolph but all manufacturers are tending towards polycarbonate lenses as they are much cheaper to make and ship. I wish Maui Jim would make at least one model without polarization.

https://methodseven.com/blog/why-cant-pilots-wear-polarized-sunglasses/

I have a pair of polarized sunglasses and I can "mostly" see all my screens in the cockpit or in my car, but there are some dark spots on some of them and one I can't see at all without tilting my head. It's not optimal. The reasons are described above. Polarization helps manage glare and enhances contrast.

Costco and many other places don't sell any non-polarized sunglasses. I just get a copy of my prescription and buy them online or from aviation specialty eyeglass stores where the selection is broader and non-polarized lenses is an option.

Last edited:
Polycarbonate is touted as bulletproof and it can be for low calibers because it is so soft and ductile it stretches absorbing the bullet's energy. So bulletproof does not equate to scratch proof.

WileyX https://www.wileyx.com/brick-854 makes glasses and sunglasses for the United States Department of Defense that actually ARE bulletproof. Well, shrapnel and blast material, not exactly aim a weapon at the lens and it stops the projectile. These are not polarized.

With the possibility of birdstrikes that penetrate the canopy or wind screen (we've all either heard experiences of this or had it happen) I use my prescription WileyX with transition lens sunglasses when flying. My thinking is that if this were to occur and I was not knocked out by the bird to the head I would still have my vision to react and fly the plane. A bird to the face at the speeds we fly could be catastrophic to eyesight.

Buy a pair of clip-on polarized (most are) to try. I've been using polarized clip-ons my whole life. The 430 and G3X are no problem at all to see through polarized lenses, nor are many phones. Non-polarized simply dim all light, some wavelengths more than others. Polarized greatly reduce reflected light specifically, which is what I find most bothersome. Sunlight glaring in from the sides can be obnoxious, so I also use glacier shields on the bows. Tons of marketing hype around sunglasses...

If you put 2 polarized lenses on top of each other and rotate, they will darken and you can’t see through. My understanding for 2 lenses is parallel polarization allows light to pass and perpendicular polarization does not.

So……If your lens is not polarized in the same direction as the screen, you have to rotate your head up to 90 degrees to see the screen.

Of course I could be wrong but this is how my dad explained it to me 50 years ago while fishing and demonstrated using a lens that had popped out of a cheap pair of sunglasses before putting back in the frame.

Aviation sunglasses

For years now I have been sending my prescription to FLIGHTSUNGLASSES.COM in York, Pa. They sell several brands of sunshades. (RayBan, Randolf,American Optica, and several other brands). I find I like the serengeti to my liking. My prescription is sent to serengeti and they grind the priscription into the glass instead of the way my local eye labs do it( they dip the clear lens)
The folks that own Flight Sunglasses are aviators, Steve the owner flys for American, and his wife Trish usually takes your order. They have been very helpful to me. Just my 2 cents worth.I am in Louisiana, and have not had a problem with the distance the turn around time has been fast.

Last edited:
For years now I have been sending my prescription to AviationSunglasses.com in York, Pa. They sell several brands of sunshades. (RayBan, Randolf,American Optica, and several other brands). I find I like the serengeti to my liking. My prescription is sent to serengeti and they grind the priscription into the glass instead of the way my local eye labs do it( they dip the clear lens)
The folks that own Aviation Sunglasses are aviators, Steve the owner flys for American, and his wife Trish usually takes your order. They have been very helpful to me. Just my 2 cents worth.I am in Louisiana, and have not had a problem with the distance the turn around time has been fast.

This is what the professionals do. No one I fly with wears polarized glasses and if they did it only took one approach to mins that they turn their head slightly off to lose an instrument or cannot see out of the heated windshield that they never wear polarized again. I prefer Serengeti in drivers lenses or dip prescription as mentioned.

For years now I have been sending my prescription to AviationSunglasses.com in York, Pa. They sell several brands of sunshades. (RayBan, Randolf,American Optica, and several other brands). I find I like the serengeti to my liking.

Do you have a link? Googling AviationSunglasses.com doesn't return any place to buy sunglasses.

Back in Navy flight school, they told us the military sun glasses were non-polarized because polarizing reduces glare, but in combat it was important to see that glint of light reflection from the enemy as early as possible.
In our GA environment, non-polarized sunglasses would help with see-and-avoid.

yes and no

I’m a government research optometrist (50 years) and polarized sunglasses have never been approved for flying or eye protection for the ground soldiers for the reasons previously stated.
HOWEVER---- I always use my MODIFIED polarized clip-on sunglasses for flying and driving. The modification is to cut out some of the bottom part of the sunglasses in the shape as those frosted IFR training glasses with the clear lower window to see the instruments. https://www.pilotshop.com/categories/pilot_supplies/ps/menus/ps/hoodsifr.html
Not only can you see the instruments, but much quicker because the difference in the sky brightness and inside the cockpit is 10 times. Each canopy and aircraft windshield are different, and they can be partially polarized, so would recommend using a cheap pair of polarized lenses sitting in the aircraft and looking around to see if there are objectionable vision changes such as shadowing and color fringes within the field of regard. In my RV-4 in the forward view, the canopy tilts the polarization differently between the right and left eye view. This means if something is polarized outside like a possible glint from another aircraft, I can always see it with one eye. The blue sky is also partially polarized depending on the sun angle so when I tilt my head, the contrast between a cloud and the sky changes which can be an advantage in picking up other aircraft when approach control gives you a direction to look.

Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama

Years ago I had a new prescription with Transitions auto darkening lenses. They were not dark enough in bright cockpit light on a clear day. The frames came with a pair of clip-on sun glasses. Using the clip-ons I flew my wife's plane and could not see any info on her EKP4 moving map; I thought the screen had failed. I noticed I could barely see something on the screen and removed the clip-ons and discovered a full bright display.

My current solution is to order my lenses with "Transitions Plus". They tend to over darken in the sun before you get in and close the canopy. Once the canopy is closed ( the canopy provides a reduction in UV) they lighten enough in a few minutes to provide a perfect compromise of eye protection and screen visibility.

I got polarized prescription progressive sunglasses last time around as the options for non-polarized were few (Lens Crafters/RayBan). I did not try another provider but will next time.

What I can report after some long cross countries:
- The glasses work just fine with the SkyView HDX display. No degradation.
- I can use the iPad but there is some degradation. Side note is I don’t use the iPad much for IFR cross country.

Carl

Thanks for the links.

I have been looking for a source for prescription sunglasses and ideally Serengeti drivers lenses. I used them for many years on the B737 flight deck and they are by far my favorite. No issues with the polarized windscreens or the displays.

I bought a pair of Flying Eyes sunglasses at their booth at Sun n Fun several years ago, about 5 years ago I think. They are not polarized, and have bifocal lenses in stock. They put the lenses you select into the frames you select, right there. The lenses had some scratches, and the earpieces had some bubbles in the finish, so I decided I'd buy another pair at Sun n Fun this year. Went to the booth, bought a new pair, and at the checkout mentioned this was my second pair, and the first pair had lasted about 5 years. The lady asked to see my original pair. She looked at them, and them made me another pair. They have a lifetime warranty, and at any show (or mail them in) they will replace any lenses or frames that have scratches or other problems - great customer service! Now I have two brand new pairs, one to keep in the car, and one in the house for airplane and other uses.

They also don't cause my ANR headset issues like the other sunglasses I've tried, the earpieces are very thin and don't interfere with the headset seals.

No connection to the company other than a happy customer.

Mark

Try These:

This is where I go to get my sunglasses: https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ess-crossbow-2x-ballistic-safety-glasses-kit/

They have several options for lens color, non-polarized, which I have about five versions, with five sets of frames. I keep a set in several locations.

As you will see, they are ballistic and with prescriptions inserts they work very well in my -9A for viewing all the electronic display screens.

I have one pair with the polarized lenses for non-flying purposes.

I've provided a set to my wife and a few friends. Been wearing them for over seven years, and "will never look back."

Additionally

If you need a super-thin earpiece for headsets / helmets, you can get these:
https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/search-magic.html?query=ESS+Suppressor

I also have several pairs of them. The lenses and inserts are interchangeable with the previously recommended frames.

Having multiple lens color options allow for wearing the "perfect" color for specific light conditions. For example: when it's overcast, I wear either yellow or bronze to improve contrast. Bright sunny conditions, I wear the gray lenses. If I'm wearing my helmet, I wear clear lenses as I find the helmet gray shield and the sunglasses is way too dark.

Many options available.

Method 7...

I strictly buy and use non-polarized glass lens sunglasses. In addition to the electronic displays I was told that polarization can affect depth perception.

My current favorite brand for non-polarized glass lens sunglasses is Method 7 Altitude Sky 9 model. They have German tempered glass.

My copilot/pilot tried a pair of Method 7 Sunglasses several years ago when we found their display booth at OSH. She initially got them for their looks (she looks great with them on; smaller lenses than others which fit her face better) but found they were GREAT for flying. She has since bought two more pair, one with slightly darker lenses. They are NOT polarized. They are the Aviatrix Sky 9 and Sky 18 specifically made for women, which is why they fit her face so well. And she has "sold" several pair after other people saw her with them on and tried them!

Polarized anything, including lenses, are oriented horizontally or vertically, in most cases. They let light in with the photons going in one direction. That's why you can take two lenses with the same orientation and put them together, turn them 90 degrees, and completely blocking light coming in. Sunglasses are usually made with the same orientation from left to right. I use a polarized lens filter on my camera and it can really change what the camera is seeing.

Helmets and bifocals....

If you need a super-thin earpiece for headsets / helmets, you can get these:
https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/search-magic.html?query=ESS+Suppressor
If I'm wearing my helmet, I wear clear lenses as I find the helmet gray shield and the sunglasses is way too dark.

I was wearing contacts when wearing my helmet and found the plastic stick-on lenses on the helmet lens worked perfectly. Come in many different strengths. Put them on with water; stick without moving or coming off! Unless you want them off.....;)

I have a set of Maui Jim that are polarized and I can see my Dynon D180, Garmin 660 and my Google Pixel 6 and 7A. The crispness and clarity is out standing. Unfortunately they as well as many other don't do bi or trifocals so for me I can only wear them on long cross countrys.

Progressive are more readily available but for me they don't work.

My solution has been Serengeti Aviators in amber gradient, with Optix 20/20 stick-on bifocal lenses custom-positioned (my eyes are at slightly different heights in my noggin and I like for the bifocal lines to arrive in my field of view at the same moment in each eye when I tilt my head back or look down, which requires a slight difference in "segment height."

I've been very happy with these, wear them all the time, and only replace them when fine scratches in the front coating make them a little long-in-the-tooth for precision work (aviation). Typically I get almost a decade from a pair of Serengeti's. Although I've aged into +2.0 diopter readers for computer work, my original +1.5's in the Optix product work fine at instrument panel distances.

Well I bought some from non polarized glasses from HAZEBUSTERS at Oshkosh this year and they seem to work better than store bought polarized
Now I need to order the ones with the 1.50 readers on the bottom.
Happy camper here Art

flightsunglasses.com

I am sorry I made you search under Aviationsunglasses.com I looked on one of invoices and their name is Flightsunglasses.com

I am sorry I made you search under Aviationsunglasses.com I looked on one of invoices and their name is Flightsunglasses.com

No apology needed. They didn't have what I needed (Ray-Bans) anyway. My prescription is now changing every couple of years (cataracts) so I hate to get to deep into eyewear until I get that fixed.

I have no connection to Flying Eyes Sunglasses other than a super happy customer. I purchased a pair at Sun-n-Fun this year, with progressive bi-focals and transition lenses. Emailed them my prescription and they were delivered perfectly. However, I realized that I didn’t want transition lenses in my sunglasses. They cheerfully replaced the lenses with a Solid Copper tint (non-polarized). Perfect, and they closely mimic the Serengeti Drivers that I loved before I needed corrective lenses.

They work perfectly in our 182 and the Airbus.

Stick-on bifocal lenses

My solution has been Serengeti Aviators in amber gradient, with Optix 20/20 stick-on bifocal lenses custom-positioned (my eyes are at slightly different heights in my noggin and I like for the bifocal lines to arrive in my field of view at the same moment in each eye when I tilt my head back or look down, which requires a slight difference in "segment height." Although I've aged into +2.0 diopter readers for computer work, my original +1.5's in the Optix product work fine at instrument panel distances.

Exactly what I did with my helmet face shield/lens. I can custom place them where I will be looking while flying which is somewhat different than reading or computer work. They will work with/on regular glasses as well that don't offer bifocal lenses. They are a little big but are easily trimmed down to the size I need. I also find a weaker diopter works better in the cockpit. And once in place they stay put! But if you want to move them around, easy to remove and reattach.

If you put 2 polarized lenses on top of each other and rotate, they will darken and you can’t see through. My understanding for 2 lenses is parallel polarization allows light to pass and perpendicular polarization does not.

So……If your lens is not polarized in the same direction as the screen, you have to rotate your head up to 90 degrees to see the screen.

Of course I could be wrong but this is how my dad explained it to me 50 years ago while fishing and demonstrated using a lens that had popped out of a cheap pair of sunglasses before putting back in the frame.

Stick a third polarized lens in between the two perpendicularly oriented lenses. :)

It's a quantum physics "paradox".

ETA: Ray-Ban Aviators never go out of style :), and have the thin earpiece that goes under headphone seals.

Last edited:
Hazebuster

Hazebuster with readers work great for me. Two pair, one in the airplane and one for driving. She stands behind her product and helps with the correct readers for your panel.

That's a good physics demo for you kids. The 3-D glasses for amusement park attractions/3-D movies do an even more profound demo, One eye receives vertical polarization; the other horizontal. Hold two pair lens against each other. Almost clear to d@mn near opaque with a 90 turn.

years ago a sunglasses vender at osh said that polarization decreases the wearer's depth perception. any truth?

Binocular vision and polarized lenses

years ago a sunglasses vender at osh said that polarization decreases the wearer's depth perception. any truth?

I would wager that vender did not sell polarized glasses!

Your eyes don't care that the light coming to your retina is polarized. Except that they reduce the perception of glare by limiting the direction the light coming to your retina is oriented.

Binocular vision, which depth perception (mostly) depends on, among other factors, is a product of how far your eyes are apart and how each eye sees where that light is coming from. Your brain is responsible for interpreting the light coming into your eyes and putting the two images together to make what you are seeing a scene and, again, doesn't care if it is polarized or not. There are many pilots who have limited vision in one eye yet are able to function normally while flying, driving, etc. Wyley Post is probably the most famous example.

Polarized light slightly limits what your eyes can see which is likely why the FAA recommends not using them. Did you see that glint off of the airplane in the distance? Polarized lenses might not have let you see that....

IMHO.....

Yes...polarized lenses can interfere with depth perception, although this is true with almost any change in eye refraction, including a new prescription. Less of a problem with your everyday eye glasses that you wear all the time as your brain "re-trains" the way visual information is processed. More of a problem with glasses that you don't wear all the time, although after awhile it takes less time to accommodate each time you put them on.

Binocular vision, which depth perception (mostly) depends on, among other factors, is a product of how far your eyes are apart and how each eye sees where that light is coming from. Your brain is responsible for interpreting the light coming into your eyes and putting the two images together to make what you are seeing a scene ….
IMHO.....

Actually, binocular vision (sometimes called parallax) only works for depth perception out to 50’ or so. Beyond that, both your eyes are looking so close to the same direction that your brain can’t tell they’re not exactly parallel. For any appreciable distance your brain relies on ‘experience’. e.g., this is why the textbooks list ‘runway mis-perceptions: a runway that is extra wide can fool your brain into thinking that you are very low’. It’s because your brain relies on experience, not binocular vision, for judging anything other than close distances.