MJarreau

Well Known Member
I just finished reading Van's "Poking the Bear" reprint from RVator. I'm not yet a builder, trying to "get my house in order" before jumping in. However, I'm concerned about what Van's suggests at the end of his article about how current builders would not likely be greatly impacted by any changes to rules.

I'm wondering if I should just purchase a tail kit just to get grandfathered and avoid any future complications. I'm not sure I can really start construction any time soon, however. Any thoughts?

I think you'd have to buy the whole kit to get grandfathered. I wouldn't worry about it tho, Van has always been in good standing with the FAA and doubt he's on thier list of 51% rule / pro-built rule, offenders. There are however, those that purchase his kits that might be (on the list)

I havent read Van's article yet

But I think the first people the FAA will go after is the 2 weeks to taxi programme type deals.

I mean fir crying out loud, this is a blatent scam to get around the 51% rule. These folks are building you an airplane while you clean up their tools, then they list the customer as the builder so he gets his repairman's certificate.

Personally I'm amazed its gotten as far as it has.

But I agree, Van is considered one of the good guys..Not an issue buying a QB kit INHO

Frank 7a