John H

Hi All,

I have seen a POH for the RV-9, but for the heck of it I can't recall where it was located. Anyone have a thought where it is?

Thanks

John H.

Fwd Baggage & Aft Baggage Question for RV-9

This maybe a silly question but I thought I had only one baggage compartment in my RV-9 and that was behind the seats. Can someone explain where the RV-9 Fwd Baggage & Aft Baggage compartment is in my RV-9 as defined in the POH manual.:(
thanks,

Can someone explain where the RV-9 Fwd Baggage & Aft Baggage compartment is in my RV-9 as defined in the POH manual.:(
thanks,
As it turns out, you can load the single baggage compartment with your "stuff" up against the seats or back against the bulkhead. That is why there are two locations in the POH. I suggest you test yours both ways.

Vx and Vy Speeds

It seems that a lot of folks are using a Vy speed of 75 Kts and Vx of 64 Kts.

The CAFE report on the RV-9A tested these numbers and came up with the results of Vy = 82.5 Kts and Vx=70.9

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf_cafe_apr/rv-9a.pdf

The numbers from this report seem to confirm the numbers in the CAFE report.
http://www.eaahighriver.org/Home_Building/TechnicalReference/BuildingPt19.pdf

Our test data seems to be close to the CAFE numbers also and do not seem to agree with the Vy speed of 75 Kts and Vx of 64 Kts that some folks are using.

Just wondering about the accuracy of these numbers as the folks at CAFE use an elaborate system for making these measurements and our numbers seem to agree with those.

We plan on making another more controlled set of tests to validate our numbers.

WARNING!

Take a close look at some of the POHs posted on this site. Most are cobbled from postings of other builders. For example, one of the fixed pitch planes shows best glide with prop at at a couple of different pitch settings (the plane in question is fixed pitch). Also, the Vx and Vy are something YOU should determine. I think you'll find they're close to Van's numbers. Another error I've seen is Va for a 9. Here, you don't want to use the same number from a 6 or 7, and you certainly don't want to use an MPH number and decide to call it knots. Very important, especially if you intend to fly instruments.
If you'd like to see another POH from a 9A, please send me a PM. However, you should only use it as a guide, especially if your weights, engine, prop, etc. are different. Remember, free advice (and documents) are generally worth what you pay for them.
Terry, CFI
RV-9a N323TP

POH number racket

John & others,
I had the same experience after buying a flying -9a. The builder did good testing and documantation, but something as simple as best angle and best glide could be subject to more testing.
For instance, why wouldn't best angle be with some flap, for max lift????
John Roncz told me best L/D for this airfoil he expected was somewhere between 15 and 20 degress, IIRC, and to test to determine the number for my plane. ( had guessed more like 10!)

yes, we really are test pilots, every day. Where's the money & chicks????