CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I have a used Pnumeatic Squeezer I bought and have been using just fine the last few months. Today I went to start squeezing some rivets and am having a problem. I used the squeezer today with some dimple dies and did the perimeter of my tailcone skins. Now when I go to try to start squeezing some rivets, it wont set any of them. There is full motion of the piston, but when it gets to the compression part (the last part of the stroke where the rivet would get squeezed) it just stops. Almost as if there was insufficient air pressure. I have verified my tank is putting out 95lbs/in on the line as I've used before. I also took the yoke off and can see the actuator move up and down ok. I don't hear any leaks. Any suggestions? Do I need to get it to a repair shop? I can't believe after all that dimpling and being ready to put things together it goes **** up like this. Sigh.

squeezer

Hi, I'll tell you my experience. The squeezer puts the maximum pressure only very near the end of its stroke. If the spacers are not correct (too thick) it will not be able to get to that maximum power before it is stopped by the rivet. In some cases depending on rivet length and mat'l thickness, you might have to partial squeeze it then add a spacer to get it to the correct shop head. I have very seldom run into that problem. Double check the spacers required for the correct shop head.

Only other problem I have experienced is after using my new squeezer to build most of empannage, right at the end of the build, it became very sluggish to return from its stroke. It got so bad it would take a very long time to return. I returned it to the seller, they fixed it then sent it back to me with a change of maintenance. They originally said not to add any oil or anything to it as I used it, now they informed me to apply ONE or TWO drops of machine oil occasionally. I have been doing that very sparingly and have had no more problems. Hope this helps

tim

Help?

Not trying to hijack this thread, BUT, I have the adjustable set holder for my squeezer (Not a tandem) but it seems to stick and not retract very well?

Anyone else have this issue or a remedy?

Cheers,

Don

Lube it

A little Lubriplate or other similar lubricant on the shaft will help prevent it from binding. It doesn't take much...just a very thin film on the machined shaft surface.

If that doesn't help, see if the yoke is attached completely square -- that can cause it to bind as well. When it's happened to me, I've just pulled the quick-release pins and put the yoke back on again, and that will get it all freed back up again.

Sticking

When mine did this, I found that the threaded part of the adjustable set was very slightly bent. I assume from it being over extended. I purchased a new one and have been using it ever since with no sticking.

Had to grind foot of set holder

..., I have the adjustable set holder for my squeezer (Not a tandem) but it seems to stick and not retract very well? Anyone else have this issue or a remedy?

When I purchased an older used but genuine Chicago Pneumatic 214 squeezer, it came with the non-adjustable set holder. I replaced it with the adjustable from Avery and found that it would stick no matter how much Lubriplate I used. Original, non-adjustable set holder worked fine. I ended up having to grind and file a few places on the foot of the set holder and that fixed it. Ten's of thousands of squeezes later and no problems.

DSC00744.JPG