AX-O

Well Known Member
Seems like I read somewhere (or told by someone) to not oil the inside of one of the pneumatic tools because it would trash the inside. But which one. Is it the pneumatic squeezer? Or am I just crazy (most likely)?

I was told not to oil the pneumatic squeezer... everything else should be OK. The squeezer has a leather part in it, if I am not mistaken.

pneumatic squeezer

The body of a pneumatic squeezer is basically a cylinder on the inside with a big thin piston with a leather seal around the edges (I took the back off of mine :). All the mechanism that would need lube is on the non-air side of the piston. When you take off the yoke, and the set holder (fixed or adjustable) falls out, you can see the mechanism if you look in the hole (not much to see really) and squirt some grease in there if you want. The piston drives a wedge between a fixed roller and one attached to a cam which drives the set holder. There are springs in there to push the piston back. Very simple. Any oil in the air hole would go no farther than the piston, and apparently it isn't good for the leather seal.

Dennis Glaeser
7A Fuselage

Pneumatic Squeezer Lubrication

Instructions for lubricating the pneumatic squeezers should be taken from the manual that comes with your squeezer. Good luck. Glenna www.planetools.com
:)

Last edited:
Pneumatic Squeezer Maintenance

It's not often that we post, but there are times when facts can be posted for the benefit of all.

Pneumatic rivet squeezers have been around for 60-70 years, if not more. During that time manufacturers have tried many different things to "tweak" the tool. In the CP drawings, for example, they're showing O rings instead of leather pistons. APT also tried using O rings on some of their tools. However, for the most part the tools remain basically unchanged after all these years.

On older Chicago Pneumatic squeezers, there was an oil hole in the lever shaft, still shown on part #79 on the CP drawings, (the cam shaft). It is located directly below throttle lever arm on the side of the tool. Chicago Pneumatic was the only manufacturer whose tools had this feature. The purpose of this oiling port was not to lubricate the bearings, but to lubricate the cam as it rotated around the lever shaft. All other manufacturers had a solid lever shaft. At some point in time Chicago Pneumatic also changed to a solid lever shaft, but their drawings are still showing otherwise.

Most pneumatic squeezers have a very heavy solid leather piston. The reason DGlaeser could not see the entire piston is because there is plate that goes over the interior portion of the piston, so if you're looking down the cylinder all you can see is the outer edges. This heavy leather piston rubs directly against the aluminum walls of the air cylinder.

Over the years there have been many advancements in the petroleum industry. At present, there are two types of grease used in pneumatic squeezers. The first is a very heavy, highly water resistant grease used on the leather piston in the air cylinder. The second is a special bearing grease used on the roller bearings and the cam bearings. There are normally 72 bearings in these tools. However, one fact that has NOT changed with respect to the petroleum industry: light oil will, in fact, wash away heavy oil, oil will flush out grease, and water flushes out everything. As time and parts are expensive, one of the favorite tricks we have seen is for a seller to generously lubricate the air cylinder of a squeezer with oil to loosen up hardened grease and sell it in "good operating condition". It works - for a while.

CP is the only manufacturer we know of that recommends oiling the air cylinder. In their drawings and instructions, this is explained by the fact that they are using O rings instead of leather pistons. However, we will unequivocally state that we have seen very, very few pneumatic squeezers of any type that use the O rings instead of the leather pistons, even from CP. In fact, every single manufacturer we are aware of is currently using a leather piston in their tool.

We have often seen pneumatic squeezers come in for repair/rebuild whose front ends are literally packed with grease. That extra grease does nothing but clog the tool and hold aluminum chips. On a pneumatic squeezer, the base and sides of the set holder should be lightly greased where it passes through the yoke and contacts the cam. The front of the cam where it contacts the set holder should be lightly greased. Maybe once a year, if you want to be extremely thorough, you can take off the bearing cover plate on top of the tool and lightly lubricate the roller bearings that contact the wedge. Any good bearing type of grease or Lubriplate will work. This is all that is required.

For the record, ourselves, Avery, Cleaveland, and now planetools, all get our new pneumatic squeezers from the same manufacturer. We, in turn, manufacture the C-Rex yokes and accessories. The manufacturer of the squeezers specifically state in their instructions and warranty NOT to oil the tools. Therefore, for a seller to suggest otherwise is a direct contradiction to the manufacturer's directions. That's all I really care to say regarding that matter.

Seems that I have elaborated at nauseum. Hopefully, though, this will clarify matters and help builders better understand these tools. Please, though, let's not go into the 2x vs 3x vs 4x arena.

Blue Skies!

Fred W. Kunkel
CLEAR AIR TOOLS
www.clearairtools.com

I have attached the lubrication instructions (deleted instructions after finding out that they are in error) for Chicago Pneumatic and US Tools which all say to lubricate the squeezers. You should use the manufacturer's instructions for whatever squeezer you have (but we also now know that some user manuals are in error for lubricating pneumatic squeezers).
Glenna
www.planetools.com
RV-8A

Last edited:
If you've ever looked inside a pneumatic squeezer, you'd see that Fred is correct. I'm sticking with Fred's advice. Nobody knows these tools, and I mean every last little part, like Fred. Besides, Fred already pointed out why those instructions say what they do.

Dan,
I respect your expertise on the RV. You are one of if not the most knowledgable. We are a distributor and repair center for pneumatic tools. We overhaul squeezers all of the time. One problem we see inside the cylinder of the squeezers is scoring. Users should follow the manufacturers recommendation for lubricating the squeezer. Chances are a squeezer will work a long time with just the grease used to assemble them.
Glenna

Last edited:
Great posts! Instead of adding 1/2 oz. (!!) of oil perhaps we should take the cylinder cover off of the end of the squeezer every year or two and regrease the leather with whatever grease was used to assemble the squeezer. Or should we just leave it alone? I've had three years and nearly a whole airplane's worth of use out of my CP214 without oiling the cylinder...so far, so good. Steve.

I just wanted an answer so I could protect my investment. I did not mean to cause issues. Thanks for all the advice.

Speaking of lubrication, if you use an inline oiler, and change brands of oil that you use, be sure to reset the flow rate. The new oil I used was much thinner than my old stuff, and I spent about 3 hours last night purging the line and cleaning my air drill (not to mention the rest of the shop...it misted oil EVERYWHERE). You wouldn't believe the mess that simple mistake made.

Pneumatic Squeezer Maintenance

For the record, I spoke with the manufacturer today and they were "very concerned" that a picture of their tool was being used with instructions that were not theirs and, in fact, contrary to their own instructions.

If you look at Glenna's (planetools.com) posts from yesterday you will see that they have all been drastically edited. No more controversy :) :).

I also spoke with the parts department at U.S. Industrial. U.S.I. did, in fact, use O rings for a while on their pneumatic squeezers, but have since changed back to leather pistons. They agree that the instructions for lubrication should have been changed, but were not.

I, personally, would applaud AX-O for asking questions regarding his tools on this list. Aircraft tools are an expensive proposition and, if you'll excuse our "opinion", the experimental aircraft industry is somewhat lacking in teaching builders about them. The more "FACTS" you have at your disposal, the better informed decisions you can make.

Blue Skies!

Fred W. Kunkel
CLEAR AIR TOOLS
www.clearairtools.com

We spoke with a manufacturer today and agree with Fred that some squeezers should not be oiled. One manufacturer specifically said that they use pleanty of grease in the cylinder which will not require any additional lubrication. Also, they said that they use a special grease in the moving head parts which also do not require additional lubrication. Fred, we are glad you discovered that the USI manual is incorrect since they changed from o-rings to leather. It is still confusing about the CP214 since they also call out for oil. We are trying to check this out to see if their manual is also incorrect. I guess we should not always follow the instruction and user manuals. This forum is a really great tool to share and learn. We have corrected our previous posts to eliminate the confusion from the manuals. I'm glad this has been corrected so we all know the correct way to lube pneumatic squeezers. :) Glenna RV-8A

Last edited: