gbumga

Hey, I have a hand squeezer and when using it to do the larger 470-6 rivets on the front HS spar reinforcements 714/710 I was squeezing so hard that I messed up some rivets. After R&R of the rivets I'm thinking this sucks, I'm feeling like a punk. Most of my attention during the install of these rivets was grunting them in and I'd rather concentrate on the precision of setting the rivet. My ? is, are there a lot more of these size rivets in the rest of the plane ? If so I'm dropping the coin NOW for a pneumatic squeezer. I don't want to set hundreds of these by hand. Gene

Doubt there are any more -6 rivets anywhere. The standard pneu squeezer most folks buy wouldn't handle anythind bigger than -4s. They make a hd one but big bucks. Still I love my pneu squeezer. Gotta have one imho.

Loaner squeezer

Van's has a loaner squeezer that you can rent from them. My brother used it to squeeze the 3/16 rivets on his RV-6A spar. Worked great.

Vans_squeezer.jpg

This thing is heavier duty than a regular pneumatic squeezer. My brother has a CP-214 clone and it can't squeeze an AN470AD6 rivet.

Good luck.

He mentioned the rivets were on his horizontal fwd spar...I think he is talking about 470AD4-6 rivets (-6 length not diam.). The main wing spar is the structure with 3/16" rivets.

Yes, there are quite a few 1/8 inch diam rivets that you need to set. I always recommend a pneumatic squeezer unless someone is doing a Q.B. kit. You can generally sell a new squeezer when done for about $150 less than what you paid. Think of it as renting it for the entire duration of your project, for $150. And sometimes you can find one of those used ones that someone else is selling.

Had the same problem....

I posted here and got 2 answers...
1-Get a pneumatic Squeezer
2-Get the Cleaveland Main Squeeze.

I opted for option #2 because of price and not needing air...

Take a look at the Cleaveland Squeezer, it sooooo easy to set 1/8 rivets with them!
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SCH22

It uses an ingenious cam with roller design to reduce the force required. With my other squeezer (Avery), the first 3/4 of the squeezing is not so hard, its the last 1/4. With the "Main Squeeze", the mecanical advantages changes over the throw. At first, the die seems to get out at the same speed... but for the last 1/2 of the hanle angle, it really slows down.

It's really a great tool!

Had the same problem....

I posted here and got 2 answers...
1-Get a pneumatic Squeezer
2-Get the Cleaveland Main Squeeze.

I opted for option #2 because of price and not needing air...

Take a look at the Cleaveland Squeezer, it sooooo easy to set 1/8 rivets with them!
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SCH22

It uses an ingenious cam with roller design to reduce the force required. With my other squeezer (Avery), the first 3/4 of the squeezing is not so hard, its the last 1/4. With the "Main Squeeze", the mecanical advantages changes over the throw. At first, the die seems to get out at the same speed... but for the last 1/2 of the hanle angle, it really slows down.

It's really a great tool!

I have never used a Main Squeeze, but I have always heard good things about it from others that have.

I didn't mention in my other post, but the main reason I recommend getting a pneumatic squeezer isn't for setting 1/8" rivets...it is for the many thousands of holes that need to be dimple countersunk if building from a standard kit (though having an easy way to set 1/8" rivets is a side benefit).
I can fly through wing ribs, spars, and fuse bulkheads when using a pneumatic squeezer. And if you plan on riveting any skins on the structures that you are building, you will need an air source anyway.

Last edited:
Get a pneumatic!

Part way through my build I acquired a pneumatic squeezer for a song. I had initially purchased a hand squeezer from Avery and while it did the job, once I got the air squeezer the hand squeezer sat in a toolbox drawer and NEVER got taken out again. The air squeezer can be used with one hand too, after a bit of practice. As a previous poster stated it really shines when you have to dimple all the holes in those wing ribs and fuselage bulkheads. Spend the extra money up front and don't even buy the hand squeezer. That'll spare up a bit over $100 bucks towards the pneumatic one and don't forget to add the adjustable rivet set rod. You'll be glad you did!

Absolutely - and don't forget the adjustable set holder. Those two items will make life so much easier...