pitmiha

I'm New Here
Hello, I'm at the beginning of building a RV12 and I see problems with my hand squeezer. So I will order the ATS PRO PNEUMATIC "C" SQUEEZER KIT. Can anyone recommend this kit. I hope this squeezer operates the 1/8" shaft rivets on my RV12 kit without problems.

Hi Peter,

Welcome!

Unless I misunderstand you, I don't think that a rivet squeezer is what you will need. I think you should be looking for a pneumatic rivet puller. The squeezer is used for standard solid rivets. The puller is for pulled or "blind" rivets like those used primarily on the RV-12.

For instance, here is a link to a blind rivet puller that ATS sells.

In the U.S., one can get much cheaper blind rivet pullers, but for an RV-12, that has many thousands of pulled rivets, maybe the ATS puller is a better quality? I'm not sure about that.

Blind riveters is no problem, You can get it in Germany without problems and I have one with pneumatic operation. For the RV12 there are also need for solid rivets, in my actual case AN470AD4-5.

Ah, OK, sorry for my misunderstanding. When you mentioned 1/8" shaft rivets, I assumed you meant blind rivets.

I have a pneumatic squeezer like the ATS one you referenced, and it works great for me, however, I can't say much about the ATS one as I don't have it.

Sorry for muddying the waters.

Good luck with your build!

You may want to try the Cleveland Tools "Main Squeeze". I was having lots of trouble with the 1/8" solid rivets until I borrowed one of the Main Squeeze hand squeezers from a local EAA chapter member. All the rivets I set with it were acceptable where about 75% with my generic squeezer were bad. A pneumatic squeezer comes with a number of usage issues that many builders seem to avoid by preferring the Main Squeeze. I will be buying my own before I order the wing kit.

I found the Cleaveland Tools "Main Squeeze" to be invaluable during my RV-12 build. It is somewhat pricey but does an excellent job and significantly reduces stress on your hands. I have a number of other less capable AN rivet squeezers in my shop drawer that now lie unused. IMHO you do not need a pneumatic AN rivet squeezer for an RV-12 build -- such a tool is fun and useful to add to your tool collection but it is overkill for the few AN rivets used in the RV-12.

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/collections/all/the-main-squeeze

Last edited:
Thanks for the postings.

As the intended squeezer kit was not available, I changed my order to the ATS rivet pistole 3X. It is cheap enough, I think. And there are some solid rivets in the RV12. As the pistole arrived yesterday, I tried to connect to the pressure hose. It does not fit. Obviously we have in Germany a different system.
pressure_conn.jpg

The Hazet pop rivet pistole on the picture has the right fitting.
Had anyone the same problem or a solution?

Yes, this was what I did. Adapter was the wrong word. I unmounted the part from an unused duster and put it on the rivet pistol. In our regional shops I did not find this part with the right thread.

I suggest you swap your arrangement and put a 2 metre tail of pipe on the tool before the male fitting. Here in Europe, well, there in Europe - you will be on PCL fitting rather than the US version shown. By putting the 2 metre tail on the tool, it makes it lighter and helps with access etc.

You could also put a swivel fitting onto the tool, then a 2 metre tail if you want even more flexibility.

PM with an email or mobile if you are Whatsapp and I will send photos/videos.

Mike

+44 07802 977505