miyu1975

Well Known Member
Today seemed like a good day to time my pmags. Per instrx I entered set up mode, after placing prop at tdc. My right pmag showed a solid red light, blew in tube twice now green......but my left pmag instead of a solid red it is blinking yellow while in set up mode..tried blowing in tube but won't turn green. Any ideas?

I moved the prop a little still blinking yellow. I read about that in the emag instrx. It spoke on this possibly happening after blowing in the tube. But in my case as soon as I went in set up mode the light was yellow blinking....never got a red led on the left as I did on the right.

Maybe..

Maybe your p lead ground is not making a good connection. if I recall, set up mode is power ON with that P lead grounded.

Ignition switch

Did you rewire your ignition switch so it will start on both P mags? Not sure if this would have the effect you see but maybe you made an error in setting up the ignition switch.

Tried Stephens first suggestion again and rotated the prop a qtr turn then the yellow light turned solid red..then I put the prop back and tdc blew in the hose...all good now. Thanks...

Tried Stephens first suggestion again and rotated the prop a qtr turn then the yellow light turned solid red..then I put the prop back and tdc blew in the hose...all good now. Thanks...

My P-mag vacuum advance hoses come together in a Tee and when I set the timing, I blow in the Tee so they both get timed at the same time. If you are worried about them being slightly different, loosen one and turn it a "smidge" (technical term).

If you back the prop up and then turn it back, make sure it has taken up all the gear slop.

I have seen some people turn the prop past TDC and then just back it up to TDC, this is bad form. If you ?back up? the prop, turn it well past TDC and then bring it back to TDC slowly, stopping exactly at TDC. There is enough play in the gear train that you could be off a degree or two.

While developing the EICommander we discovered that there is a LOT of slop in our gear trains. Thus the minimum timing divergence we display is two degrees.